• Advertisement

Arsnik Hilux Delights

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Arsnik Hilux Delights

Postby arsnik » Thu May 27, 2010 7:41 pm

Start of a minor HIlux build thread
interested into why people lift mu's, I have owned a few and fitted 33's to them all, some 12.5 some 13.5. I have never had a problem with rubbing / clearnace. My friends with 35s have a bit of lift but why the million threads about lifting your mu?????
arsnik
Isuzu Baby

City: WEllington
Vehicle: HILUX

Re: Arsnik Hilux Delights

Postby arsnik » Thu May 27, 2010 7:42 pm

starts with

Description:
(A quick and general Write up of yourself
MY NMAE ISN'T ARSNIK (first name only,
where you live
WELLINGTON
small history may be,...?
MENTALLY ILL FROM AMITYVIL
and then your car,
TOYOTA model,
SINGLE CAB HILUX 4WD
year,
and any other info you might want to say, where you got it,
FROM A FARMER
how much,
FUK ALL
KMS
HEAPS
how long you've had it,
NOT LONG
where you like to go off roading etc)
ANYWHERE IN WELLINGTON, AKAS TO CABLE BAY

Modifications and Accessories:
NO ENGINE
GEAR BOX

Suspension:
24YR OLD LEAFS
Body Lift:
NONE
Tyres/Wheels:
VARIOUS
Traction Aids: (LSD, auto lockers or Air/electric lockers etc)
BUGGERED OPEN DIFFS
Bullbar:
NONE
Spot lights and Lighting:
NONE
Communications/GPS:
YELL LOUDLY?
Dual Batteries:
NO BATTERIES CURRENTLY
Engine:
NONE
Exhaust:
NONE
Sound system:
YELLING?
External: (any other bits you've done,snorkle, rock, sliders/bar work, roof rack, boonet scoops flares etc)
REMOVED PANELS?
Internal: (any interanl mods, like false floor, water storage, storage slide etc)
REMOVED DASH?
Others:
RUST?

Pictures:

GOING TO BE A LONG WINTER.....
interested into why people lift mu's, I have owned a few and fitted 33's to them all, some 12.5 some 13.5. I have never had a problem with rubbing / clearnace. My friends with 35s have a bit of lift but why the million threads about lifting your mu?????
arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby arsnik » Thu May 27, 2010 8:02 pm

first step. buy something to power it

Isuzu's finest

4JG2 from a 93 MU,

arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby arsnik » Thu May 27, 2010 9:37 pm

get rid of egr shit. thin plate under neath and weld it up, plate on tinake side also

arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby arsnik » Thu May 27, 2010 9:40 pm

ditch the pressure pipe off turbo in favour of a bighorn intercooler in the blind faith of cooler running and more power

arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby arsnik » Thu May 27, 2010 9:42 pm

buy the $7 of mounts off a 2.8 bighorn from pick part which mounts it on a slightly different angle to factory 3.1 bighorns but nothing a big dirty bonnet scoop won't fix. I also took butterfly out of intercooler, dont run any quick warm up, the only vaccum advance will be the IP boost spensor. and some vaccum for the brakes. all the rest of isuzu's finest engineering vaccum lines an trick solenoids goes in the BIN

Last edited by arsnik on Thu May 27, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby arsnik » Thu May 27, 2010 9:47 pm

pretend you have some idea on how to rotate a turbo an buy soe top quality supercheap auto tools to try rotate turbo. fail. will end up in a vice and get pursuaded with a BFH to rotate to .. and thats all the updates for the week. hoping to drive at end of next month, the only money i have to spend to get it going under its own power is driveshafts, which ill get a professional to make. have steel for engine mounts and cross member

arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri May 28, 2010 6:31 am

Fast work mate, looks good.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby arsnik » Fri May 28, 2010 3:54 pm

got to work fast or motiviation runs out an it will be a 2 year project. might get engine mounts made and engien mounted over weekend, weather dependent.
arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby bonkers » Fri May 28, 2010 9:37 pm

great job mate keep at it......
Yeah tar thanks that'll be great..!
bonkers
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1992 ISUZU MU 2.8L TURBO DIESEL

Postby 4wheeler » Sat May 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Well at least you wont have the problem of the Toyota 2.4 D cracking heads anymore,Looking forward to seeing the Toyzu in action.......
4wheeler
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu MU 3.1 D auto

Postby arsnik » Sun May 30, 2010 6:11 pm

4wheeler wrote:Well at least you wont have the problem of the Toyota 2.4 D cracking heads anymore,Looking forward to seeing the Toyzu in action.......

The whole reason for another isuzu powered hilux as I am well sick of L series heads cracking. Have had a few yota's, L series powered and they really do just seem to crack, i factor an extra $1000 if ever buying L powered as its going to crack sooner or later. On the otherhand never had a 4J cook, though reading about it many have.
arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby Rusty92MU » Sun May 30, 2010 8:16 pm

That looks like its going to be an awsome Hilux arsnik and the use of putting in t isuzu engine. i to have recently done i hilux (85 model) and when i recieved it it had no tray no wheel no motor no gear box and the interior was all ripped and rotted itl ooked simler to what your looks like. and it took me 6 months of rebuilding to getting it looing ok and a total of 2 grand to complete it. but i really like the direction your going in because the old 2.4 desiel was gutless as any hilux owner would know, ill try not to hi-jack your thread to much but here's a pick of what it looked like before i sold it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty92MU
Isuzu Baby

City: Albany
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu MU

Postby Yarno » Mon May 31, 2010 5:02 pm

arsnik wrote:pretend you have some idea on how to rotate a turbo an buy soe top quality supercheap auto tools to try rotate turbo. fail. will end up in a vice and get pursuaded with a BFH to rotate to .. and thats all the updates for the week. hoping to drive at end of next month, the only money i have to spend to get it going under its own power is driveshafts, which ill get a professional to make. have steel for engine mounts and cross member

I don't think you'll be able to rotate that turbo housing as it's the stock 3.1 one. The bolts won't line up as they are not evenly spaced.
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby geeves » Mon May 31, 2010 7:33 pm

I always thought that but have since been told that they all line up except one which you can drill and retap
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby arsnik » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Yarno wrote:
arsnik wrote:pretend you have some idea on how to rotate a turbo an buy soe top quality supercheap auto tools to try rotate turbo. fail. will end up in a vice and get pursuaded with a BFH to rotate to .. and thats all the updates for the week. hoping to drive at end of next month, the only money i have to spend to get it going under its own power is driveshafts, which ill get a professional to make. have steel for engine mounts and cross member

I don't think you'll be able to rotate that turbo housing as it's the stock 3.1 one. The bolts won't line up as they are not evenly spaced.

The myth of spinning mu turbo's and turning it into a bighorn turbo will be busted eventually.
Yes its stock 3.1 mu.
What do you know about the amount of force needed to spin them? It has been put under a small amount of force in a vice and is stil not budgin, maybe I am missing something.
I am happy to drill an tap new holes. It would save $3-500 buying a bighron turbo.

Cheers
arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby Yarno » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm

The flange will bump off with a soft hammer... There is sealant holding it on, so you need to hit it away from the turbo, your not trying to hit it around/spinning it there is way to much friction, just be careful of the turbine fins when you bump the flange off.

But as I was saying before the holes don't line up, I even went out to the stuffed one in my shed before I put it down here earlier, and I also was under the impression that it was just the waste gate actuator that was the problem but no, that could be the easy part to fix with a welder.
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby arsnik » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Failed at rotating turbo. Didnt want to damage the seal as knew it was a good turbo so back to stock inlet in mean time.
its been shit wet an cold in wellington and my garage is my driveway so nothing happened for weeks.fail.

its been moved to a BIG temporary garage
arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Postby Captcol » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:28 am

Was wondering how things were going, good to see the project is still alive, even if parked up
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby arsnik » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

its not "parked up" as it was in my driveway in the rain,
its getting 5 nights a week attention. a lot of help from a mate and beer involved.

engine in - hilux mouting points hacked off chopped a little an moved a lot with a bit of bracing, the sump has the bowl a lot further forward than a hilux but with some careful planning and a lot of expert engineering help it is mounted with over an inch clearance.

actual engine mounts were combo of hilux and bighorn with few chops an changes and

gearbox x member mounts been created from new

diesel primer filter dont appear on petrols

3 inch pipe being made - straight off turbo by a
my mate got pics on phone of 3inch pipe finished but will try get some myself it tonight

and of some news- we had it RUNNING last night!

waiting on drive shafts, and a lot of tidy up work
arsnik
Isuzu Baby

Next

Return to Special Mods