• Advertisement

adding a engine oil cooler

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

adding a engine oil cooler

Postby wbski007 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:01 am

I'm going to add an oil cooler because since I started using the longer oil filter its now only 6mm from my exhaust, I know the exhaust must be adding extra heat to the oil, adding a extra cooler can't hurt as most of my driving is here in the south with no winters, I've noticed a drop in my oil pressure on long runs in hot weather, my question is, can I use the plug thats on my oil filter housing to feed the cooler or will that by pass my filter and just send the unfiltered oil thru the cooler and back into the pan?? see photo. If I can't use the plug on the filter housing where else can I get the supply of oil for the cooler from?? Holy S##t just noticed the nut is off my exhaust, glad I took the photo, must use self locking this time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wbski007 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Re: adding a engine oil cooler

Postby bonkers » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:27 am

my nut did the same thing bloody hard to get back on with the filter in....you can run the oil from the outlet of your turbo then through the cooler then back into the hose that the turbo was originally connected to.
Yeah tar thanks that'll be great..!
bonkers
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1992 ISUZU MU 2.8L TURBO DIESEL

Postby wbski007 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 pm

Thanks for the come back Bonkers but I think I can use the oil feed line and return hose that used to go to my vacuum pump to feed oil to the new cooler as the Isuzu vacuum pump was leaking oil, I tryed replacing the O rings but it still leaked oil so I took it off the rear of the alternater and repaced it with a vacuum pump from a Ford 7.3 diesel, next thing I'm doing is replacing the Isuzu alternator with a GM one, I 'm doing this because I can't get a Isuzu alternator and vacuum pump here in the states without a special order, it takes a week and costs over $300.00, if either one of them went out on the road I'd be in a hell of a mess trying to get one, GM alternators are a dime a dozen here and so are Ford vacuum pumps, I love my 2.5 but its a b###ch getting parts for it here in the good ol USofA, so I'm forced to improvize. the only thing thats got me stumped is how to fit the banjo fitting on the oil line that went to the old vacuum pump to the new oil cooler, I'm sure I'll come up with something if I think about it enough, I usually do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby Drift » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:45 am

Would it be worth fitting a heat shield between the filter and exhaust
Drift
Isuzu Baby

City: Merseyside
Vehicle: Vauxhall Frontera 2.8TDI LWB
Modifications: 2.8 TDI LWB
Pro Comp +2" ES9000 front
Rear Rough Country +4" shocks with +2" Trooper HD Coils
and 2" poly coil spacers added
Trooper LSD rear axle waiting in garden to be fitted
265/75/16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders on Mods
Flipped BJ's
Cold start and EGR valves removed.
Particulate filter removed from Exhaust.
Poly bushed ARB's
Moved/Modified air intake
Kinky rubberised floor
Groovy foam A bar
Uprated recovery points
And other tittle tattle

Postby wbski007 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:39 pm

there's not enough room Drift, its close, I mean really close, since I went to the longer oil filter I'm lucky if I have 6mm between the exhaust and end of filter, I'm looking at an used exhaust brake on ebay and if I get it I will have to rework the exhaust and if I do I'll see if I can get it ferther away from the filter, I'm still am going to add the oil cooler tho.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Postby lotusfrontera » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:30 pm

Wayne, while you`re doing the work to the cooler have you thought about fitting a remote filter housing and resiting it somewhere else in the engine bay.
Difflock Dave.
www.muddyfrontera.co.uk
MAC 4X4 challenge 2011
Car no;51.
Dave Knight & Karl Ellis

http://www.justgiving.com/muddyfronteradavekarl
lotusfrontera
Isuzu Baby

City: Burntwood
Vehicle: Vauxhall Frontera 2.2L Diesel Turbo

Postby wbski007 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:04 pm

yeah I did Dave but I can't find a remote to fit mine, I have a very strange filter housing and filter, filters from 2.8's or 3.1's don't fit, seems like they built mine with a one of a kind filter, it took me months to find a filter here to fit it.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Return to Special Mods