• Advertisement

reworked Saab intercooler to fit Isuzu 2.5

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

reworked Saab intercooler to fit Isuzu 2.5

Postby wbski007 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:26 am

Well I'm up to my old tricks again making odd things fit, I reused my Saab intercooler, If you remember I used this Saab intercooler before but I had to use alot of extra piping to hook it up because both inlet and outlet pipe both faced in the same direction, the case is made out of some kind of composit material, so I cut it with a hacksaw and turned the outlet side around 180 and then used 2 part epoxy to mate it back together, I drilled a series of 1/8" holes all around each half about 10mm apart so when I applied the epoxy it went into the holes to give a better grip, seamed to work ok as its been on the motor for about two weeks now and no cracks. I lost alot of boost pressure the first time I used the Saab intercooler probably due to all the extra piping so I removed it, now after reworking it and the the use of less piping it works great, no lost boost, I figured what the hell I ain't got nothing to loose by cutting it as it was just sitting on my shelf anyway, I'm glad I did now as the 2 part epoxy worked great, its harder than steel. I had to use some machanics wire tho to help hold the hose on the outlet side because the intake manifold doesn't have a lip, the hose kept blowing off, I know its kinda mickey moused but the wire has held it on so far, have to come up with somthing that looks a little better than wire. If I could weld alumium I could put a bead around the lip of the intake then the clamp would have something to hold on to so the hose didn't slip off. I could use epoxy like I did on the composit but I don't know how well it would work on alumium??
well anyway it works and that's what counts, I've ordered a hood scoop and I'm mounting it over the intercooler and that should just about do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Re: reworked Saab intercooler to fit Isuzu 2.5

Postby iananita » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:31 am

How often do you change oil?
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby wbski007 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:17 pm

it doesn't look like from the top but there's just enough room under the intercooler to take the oil cap off and get my flexable funnel in there to add the oil ;) I just changed it the other day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby iananita » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:44 am

Good one!

Great mod!
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:36 pm

That epoxy putty is good stuff I once used it to repair a crankcase on a dirt bike after my workmate put the chain through it
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby steveNZ » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:21 pm

i with you on the 2 part epoxy that's what i used to secure fittings to oil catch
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Postby wbski007 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:06 am

added a fan to my intercooler today and what a differance it made in tempeture, I already had a temp gauge hooked up to my intercooler, just wanted to see what kind of temps it was running, before I added the fan it would run at between 140 degrees and 170 degrees, turned fan on and it droped to 120 degrees and stayed there, big differance. Also raised the back of the bonnet up a few inchs to let the hot air escape faster, its a old race car trick to help keep your motor a little cooler.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Postby scruff123 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:24 pm

were did u run the air temp sensor into? did a tap and srew it into the intercooler? cheers
scruff123
Isuzu Guru

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 standard bighorn 3.1 diesel, mitsubishi pajero 3ltr v6 swb on 36's

Postby wbski007 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:49 am

Yeah Scruff the Saab intercooler had a brass plug in one end, for what I have no idea, but it was the perfect size for a mechanical temp probe, I had this engine water temp gauge sitting around so I thought what the hec, water temp and air temp are the same it should work and guess what, it did, what's one more gauge to look at when you have 10 already, I was just really curious as what kind of temps the air in the intercooler were, I thought they would be higher than they actually are, but in any case the fan makes a big differance
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Return to Special Mods