• Advertisement

Rear panel trim and tow hooks on 2.8 bighorn

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Rear panel trim and tow hooks on 2.8 bighorn

Postby lewis » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Rear panel trim
A lot of guys do this on safari's. Just want to know if anyone thinks the WOF man wont like it or any reason not to do it for that type of reason. I think it looks silly with no rear bumper, also means exhaust can end earlier. Unfortunately cant cut them off completely level with the bottom of the rear doors due to fuel filler hose, im thinking just level with frame.
It shouldnt be too hard to unplug the wiring and drill another hole further up for it. Could rivet some aluminium over the panel hole and bog it to seal it up or something like that, just give it a try and see how it goes lol. Im a less is more kind of guy.
Any thoughts?

Rear tow hook
Also while the rear of my bighorn is subject - there is no where good to mount a tow hook! Would be very hard to hold nuts/bolts inside the chassis rail from the small entry point. Ive seen tow hooks mounted to where my tow bar is, and I could put a large shackle through where the large bolt holding the drop bar is, but I dont like the idea of snatching in the same direction as the bolts...
I think those extra bits welded onto the bottom of my frame were put as supports to the frame (since nothing was bolted to them when I removed everything) when towing a heavy load (you can see the two holes on each side where the towbar used to be mounted, it was a pretty heavy duty setup)
So keen to see how people have done this.

Last picture is for a laugh, see how wasted my rear shackle bushes were! Want to get onto the body lift this weekend but the carport is occupied with my nice clean VR4 im trying to sell and I dont want it to get rained on so I dont have to wash it again haha.

Cheers

Lewis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Re: Rear panel trim and tow hooks on 2.8 bighorn

Postby lewis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:19 pm

I have had an idea re the tow hook. I could probably just use the 4 bolt towbar setup that you can see on it now, except drill the holes right through to the other side of the frame, then put bolts the whole way through with nuts on the end, and drop the highest rating shackle that fits through where the drop bar attaches (4-6.5T probably).
Thoughts? Would 4wd clubs accept this (provided i use rated bolts and a rated shackle of course)?
I dont see why not as the bit that bolts on with the 4 bolts is one piece of metal about 10mm thick, no welding.
There is a guy on trademe selling hitches that bolt up to there with a bit welded onto them, with a tow hook bolted to that, designed to be used without bolts right through the box section chassis but as I said before I dont like the idea of pulling on the direction of the bolts, especially since the bottom two are quite rusty.

Re the panel trim, I cant be the only one who likes taking a grinder to my truck haha, I can hear it calling me!
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Cutting panels as long as it doesnt weaken things and is done in a workmanlike manner shouldnt be a problem but best talk to your wof man first. A disscussion now might save an argument later.
Re tow hook this is a difficult question. Before settling on a method talk to the safety officer of your chosen 4wd club.
They sell a hook adapter on trademe that bolts on where your towbar is and on other cars its fine but the rear crossmember on the isuzu is not that strong. I wouldnt trust a towbar there without extra strengthening and for recovery the forces are even more. do bolt right through with a plate on the back and angle brace back to the chassis if you go this way.
Another way which will cost more is to fit a heavy duty towbar with a Hayman Reece style receiver. This can be set up 2 ways. Either a second tongue with hook attached or permanent hooks on both sides which is how mine is done. Make sure you pick up all 4 bolts on both sides to spread the load.
Shackles are common overseas but not favoured in New Zealand for 2 reasons. A: its quicker to use a hook. b: if something breaks a shackle weighing 3/4kg travelling at 200kph tends to hurt. If you go this way use at least 4.3ton swl
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Yeah good point ill go ask WOF man.

I wont be joining a club in the next few months, will probably join one in welly once I move down. I had thought the rear crossmember might not be that strong, so angle bracing to the chassis might be a good idea yeah. As for towing, the heaviest thing I tow is a trailer with 2 motox bikes so not too worried about that, mostly its just for a bike rack.
Keen to see a pic of how you have it at the back, but yeah im not going to want to spend lots of money on a heavy duty towbar system. Im going to have a problem with mounting a hook at the front too (as im guessing clubs dont like the factory one) since nowhere easy and good to mount on there either but will get to that when mounting winch - at the moment its looking the hook would have to be bolted to the bullbar mounts.

I read an interesting thread on offroadexpress about hooks and shackles, it seems they mostly use shackles in aus but yeah like you say mostly hooks here.

Cheers
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Yes those front hooks are held on by 10mm bolts. I have in my glove box for demo purposes a 12mm bolt from one of my rear hooks It is grade 8.8 and a reputable brand and its bent. All 8 bolts in my 4 hooks were replaced within a week of finding that
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Special Mods