• Advertisement

Bar work questions.

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Bar work questions.

Postby Captcol » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:16 pm

I was lucky enough to take the truck for its first real off road adventure yesterday up in the manawahae hills, luckily one of the guys that has been doing it for awhile jumped in the passenger seat to help me pick lines. I was hugely impressed where the truck could actually go and it was my testicles that were not up to the job until they seemed confident the truck would make it (2 dents 1 flare removed bash plate bent a bit and alot of scratches.

I was advised to take the factory side bars off as they would cause me to hang up but after going for a run I now see that I still need something. I am wanting to design something for the front, side and rear of the truck, I want to protect my tail lights and sills, well the whole truck really.

What thickness materials should I use? Steel or alloy? Plate or tube?

How much clearance should i have between the sill and the barwork, I have a body lift so the standard bars are too low anyways, the tires are wider than the body work so should the bars extend outside the tires or stay inside the tires and sacrifice my garden edging flares? I can't weld otherwise I might have a crack at this myself but if I can go to someone with as much info and ideas as possible I won't get talked into things I don't need.
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Re: Bar work questions.

Postby Fly3r » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 am

5mm steel tube, bar, plate RHS would be right,
I'm pretty sure the 'tuff trucks' are now starting to use 7 series aluminium, just as strong just as expensive but much lighter, and different to weld
if you have a lok on the old forum, particually Muvitmadness SAS project, you might find pics of his bar work if you need insparasion...
that what i'd be looking at anyways
Three things a Co-pilot should say to a Captain:
1. Great landing
2. First round is on me
3. I'll take the ugly one.
Fly3r
Isuzu Junior

City: Sydney
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 1994 3.1 T/D

Return to Special Mods