• Advertisement

rear quarter guard chop!!!

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

rear quarter guard chop!!!

Postby haven » Fri May 13, 2011 5:10 pm

here is an example of cutting the lower rear quarter in order to gain a bit of wheel space and allow for a custom rear bar...

this is copied from a general convo thread :
http://clubisuzu.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2432&p=18803#p18803
thought id copy it here for easy access for anyone else interested in doing the same...

did the chop on my spare mu today folks....
pics following...

in my opinion it actually looks good once you replace the gap with something. as you can see in the pics i dummied up a real quick bar design to wrap around the guard with some scrap poles and a bender, done tidier with thicker steel and running the whole way across the rear to both sides, with bracing, rear tow hooks and what ever else tickles your fancy i could see it turning your mu rear end into quite the beast!!!

as you can see behind the wheels there is tons of room to maybe continue the bar along and use it as a quick fit mudflap point or just whip something up...

also the filler neck is now exposed, so im going to cut in half the plastic cover, refit and bend up some sheet or plastic to cover the lower half of the hose, or once the tank lift is done it wont matter anyway....

enjoy the inspiration!!

did both sides on the other mu today and bent and welded a better version of my rear bar...

what you think???

[img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/rossriach/IMG_0356.jpg[/img

enjoy
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Re: rear quarter guard chop!!!

Postby lewis » Tue May 17, 2011 9:07 pm

Cool. I was goign to do similar but would have cut the inner off too, and move the wiring loom further up. Maybe the back of the bighorn is a bit different, I reckon I could have got it to work but my WOF man wasnt too keen on it and he passes all my other mods/rust repairs so dont wanan piss him off. I have a big as steel bar over it now anyway. With both sides gone would have awesome clearance, then I'd just need to do a gas tank lift - which I still need to do...
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Postby haven » Fri May 20, 2011 9:55 pm

yea thinking i might cut that inner bit out aswell, would make it easier to seal up to as its a nice easy flat flat not 90 degree mating welds etc...

don't have roadworthies in s.a but dont see why it would be a problem, the guard isnt structural, its just part of the body work.

will update soon once i get round to cutting more out of that guard...

custom bars almost finished too, look forward to hearing some reviews on what you think of it.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Sat May 21, 2011 5:21 pm

still havent cut the inner section out yet guys but almost finished the rear bar....

haven
Isuzu Guru

Return to Special Mods