• Advertisement

haven's MUTROL sas project

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Re: haven's MUTROL sas project

Postby haven » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:21 pm

engine so close to finished now :)
rebuilt injectors in, need a few hose clamps here and there and a dump pipe for the exhaust, both thats about it. oh and a new a/c compressor...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Postby PaladinAus1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:19 am

Looking good!

Who did the injector rebuild?
PaladinAus1
Isuzu Baby

City: Adl
Vehicle: 2.8 TD, Auto, Intercooler, ,

Postby haven » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Ended up getting them done through "hi-tech diesel" . Started off at mtq but they repeatedly dicked me round then refused to price match hi-tech's quote so I told them where to go and took my injectors there...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby MUVIT » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:32 pm

how long does it take to run in a fresh 4jb1/4jg2 motor?
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

City: Darwin
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 96

Postby haven » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:27 pm

the machinist i spoke to said around 1000km, which is pretty standard for petrols too. although the difference with the diesels is they are best run in under max load. so unlike petrols where u let them idle for a while and then over time increase rpm and speed as the k's tick over the diesel prefers to be fully loaded up and working hard soon after start up to bed in the rings correctly. although with good quality rings and liners bedding in is very minimal..

thinking of running it in on a dyno to tune it up at the same time but ill see how i end up for time and money by my christmas deadline...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 pm

so after waiting what seems like an eternity... THE ENGINE IS FINALLY IN!!!
put the rebuild motor back in today and fitted up the crossmember, which lined up a treat im happy to say. few close gaps between things such as the alternator and p/s return hose but easy enough to flex out the way. also installed the front lifted coils ..

start with the engine..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:12 pm

and the lifted front :)
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby PaladinAus1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Looking awesome!

Would love to see this thing out and about, but I don't want to even think about trying to go where it goes haha.
PaladinAus1
Isuzu Baby

City: Adl
Vehicle: 2.8 TD, Auto, Intercooler, ,

Postby muzila » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Ha Ha mate! Ya dog is same color as ya MU. Just about didn't see it lol. Great work so far mate.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby haven » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:48 pm

got the intake system hooked up now and mounted the fuel filter, catch can, p/s reservoir and dual battery controller/circuit breaker.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby isuzurob » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:44 pm

looks good, looking at your brass fittings the temp sensor etc wont be very accurate as they are higher than the water level?
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby haven » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:27 pm

that is a very good observation mate and one i overlooked... the radiator will sit higher than that point so the coolant level should reach that point. bleeding it would be the tricky part..
hopefully if the rad is higher and i can bleed it the reading would be ok as heat rises and the convection of the coolant would give a temp reading... the gauge is for the thermo fan switch so hopefully the error isnt significant enough to affect their operation otherwise i might have to switch it to the inline pipe fitting.

thanks for the observation mate :)
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:48 pm

finally got the diff lock and started putting it in!!
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:54 pm

fitted up the rear springs and installed the 42mm tough dog 2" shocks :)
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:55 pm

also hooked up fuel lines to tank, fitted filler hoses, etc. stuck some headlight globes in the mu today and tried them out, shorted something out in the dash, smoked, lost dash lights, indicators stayed on and lights very dim :( fixed the indicator fault by disconnecting the plug to the rear tailights and trailer plug and fixed the dash problem by disconnectting the headlight plugs. for some reson having the headlight globes plugged in is causing a short at the dash :s
one step forward, two steps back i guess!!!

also fitted the gearsticks, finished the in cab air compressor/tank system and started hooking up for gear in the engine bay...
tested the shafts from the patrol and sadly the flange size/bolt distances are different and even the uni joint outside diameters are different so i couldnt swpa yokes over..

need to figure out how to make up a mech handbrake, so far my best theory is to buy a patrol drum for the tailshaft and gte it redrilled to bolt to the mu gbox output shaft. from there i may even be able to use the patrol tailshaft seing as the drum will have patrol sized output on it....

getting close to my dec19 deadline now :( time is running out.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 pm

bonnet is now on :P small if any gap between the bonnet and both battery posts so just to be safe ill rivet a piece of rubber to the underside of the bonnet to prevent arcs.. trucks and earthmoving use the same system so it must be good :P
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby iananita » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Your snorkel looks high above the cab, expecting deep water crossings?
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Might need a periscope too :D
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby haven » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:19 pm

yea its been that height since i made it back when it was just a str8 mu, sits flush with the roof basket when fitted but i did wonder if it was a little high. theres nothing lower to mount to if i needed to shorten it anyway and the air is always fresher up high :P lol
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:32 am

remember theres no trees in Aus to get it hung up on
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

PreviousNext

Return to Special Mods