• Advertisement

haven's MUTROL sas project

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Re: haven's MUTROL sas project

Postby muzila » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Having another look at your photos I see a coil spring in there. how is the sas part going??
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby isuzurob » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:15 pm

he used a safari complete chassis with mu body, guessing he still needs to sort steering but it all looks good
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby haven » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:42 pm

haha thanks muzilla, means a lot, god i just want to get it running though! getting impatient.lol

muzilla/ isuzu rob:
yea its sitting on a gq patrol /maverick chassis, so its coil sprung all round. sas is pretty well all done and steering is all complete. just need to install p/s pump when engine goes in and get driveshafts made up to match the trans to the gq diffs...
will keep updating as i go.
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Postby haven » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:33 pm

primed the mu the other day in prep for its new colour scheme. cheapo masking tape let me down as thirty seconds after taping it up it all started peeling off again so ill have to buy some good tape and retape everything before the second coat and topcoats...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:36 pm

assembled most of the motor as well, new pistons are in, new bearings installed, fitted oil pump and sump assembly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm

fitted the head and new pushrods, dummied up the exhaust manifold.

started making brackets for the front bar and winch mounts...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby muzila » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 pm

WOW mate thats lookin awsome!!!!! Yea I forgot you where using a GQ chassis lol. it been awhile since i been on here.

I interested in seeing your motor photos as I am about to rebuild a spear motor i have sitting around. Are those 2.8 or 3.1 pistons?
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby haven » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 am

2.8 pistons..
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby samfnq » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Pretty inspiring thread. Have a few questions as im thinking of something similar...

What made you choose coils over leafs? There is a few amigo's in the states with crazy flex.
Also. Is the mu chassie really not up to the task? If you are only running stock motor? What made you choose patrol over say, hilux or jeep diffs?

And finally. What tyre size will you be running? 35's or 37's?

Can not wait to see photos of this off road. And would love to see some videos.
samfnq
Isuzu Baby

City: Townsville
Vehicle: Isuzu mu 2.8TD Red now rolling on 31/10.5 Bighorns

Postby haven » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Glad to hear I have inspired you mate and thanks for the kind words. Motor is almost finished so I will try and put newer pics up soon, been flat out the last few wks with uni and work :(
In answer to your questions:
I choose coils partly for simplicity and availability but really at the end of the day coils are far better for ride, articulation and cost.
Whilst it is a stock motor in terms of the engine and internals it will certainly be tweaked more than it already is with fuel pump , high flowed turbo and retune. The original mu would by far have been fine for that sort of power, no question there.
My aim was a more aggressive looking mu, something unique and to do away with god awful ifs cv shafts! Lol

I chose patrol for a couple of reasons, mainly that it is really the only competitive solid axle swb around. That and the bulletproof reliability, cheapness of parts and availability of a donor. There is a very similar thread on here by another bloke who did the same sort of thing which inspired me and I knew with reasonable certainty that the chassis would fit ok.

As for tyres I'm running 33's as pictured from my mu before but I will be looking at 35's to complete it as the standard tyres. Probably wont go bigger because it clashes with a lot of comp regulations and its really not necessary for a dual locked winch style truck, I'll just end up braking something and reliability is what I'm trying to maintain ( hence keeping the Isuzu engine).

Hope that answered your questions mate.
Will try and update soon.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:39 pm

here's a few more photos of the engine progressing. sent the turbo away to hypergear to have it recon'd and high flowed. waiting on new alternator, a/c compressor and still need to get injectors cleaned and tested...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby jellis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Its looking good the goods.

Did you buy that oil filter relocator or machine it up your self?
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby haven » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:56 am

bought it mate, theres another thread on it i made on here somwhere...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:06 pm

new alternator arrived today, fitted up to engine and trial fitted new led tail lights on the rear, not quite sure how to build the rear bar just yet, too many ideas floating around in my head. need to reduce the drop of the drawbar too im thinking.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:40 pm

primed and painted the mu the other day getting it ready for its grey and black pattern over the top to complete the snow camoflauge...

here's a few pics of the process.

primed:
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:43 pm

painted:
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:06 pm

This an inspiring thread -pity I've got no dosh to spare I was looking at your led lights perhaps you could do something along the lines of what did when I had issues with breaking the originals on my rodeo [url]http://www.clubisuzu.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2297&hilit=+Lights[\url] Obviously you would do a better job :D
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby haven » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:12 pm

good idea mate. i did ponder about something like that but its too difficult to get it to look natural. i was planning on painting my stock lights black and just leaving my indicators functioning to cover angle and then using the led on the rear bar as brake, tailight etc. ill show some pics when i get there... thanks for the kind words though, means a lot to hear that people appreciate this thread.

so started painting the patterns on today too...

here's a few pics taped up...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:15 pm

and now with paper and paint:
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:35 pm

and post paint, when the tape is all taken off... :
haven
Isuzu Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Special Mods