• Advertisement

haven's MUTROL sas project

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Re: haven's MUTROL sas project (early days)

Postby haven » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:54 pm

Nah haven't spoken to an engy yet. Will when it's finished. Just hit my first snag, bought a hydro handbrake as its a lot easier to setup but to pass inspections apparently it needs a mechanical handbrake as well, so I may have to fit up a tailshaft brake and run it off the original handbrake. Just more effort :(
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Postby Yarno » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:52 am

Getting there mate!!

The steering shaft spline is the same Isuzu to Nissan, bolt straight on...
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby haven » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Yea sure is. Makes life easier, though the shaft is too long, just had to shorten it a bit..
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:45 pm

installed interior trim again and filled speaker quarter panel cavity with expanding foam to stop vibration. used foam in the rear lower guards too..

starting sussing out position for my new hydro handbrake too :)

spoke to the fabricator today and the roll cage is a go in a few wks so keep your eyes out for that ! just waiting to hear back from s.a transport authorities and the local certifier about requiremend to legaly build a full cage as all the paperwork i have found on it points to only half cages being legal....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby muzila » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:41 am

Got any photos of where you filled in the rear panels with foam?

I looked at a full rollcage for my Mu but ran into problems because of the back seat and only 1 door each side. Thats here in NZ. I was going to just take the back seat out but that was a cert issue apparantly. So I have decided on a exo cage for mine.

Will be interesting to see what your rules are.

Good work though..
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby jellis » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 am

if it was me id be looking at going exo cage.
and just tell the rta that its a roof basket support
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am

Rules have changed in NZ on cages. Have to look at the LVVTA website for details but essentially if you can meet certain clearances you dont even need to cert it any more for road. Mus lower roof line might still mean the back seat has to come out though but removeing a seat does not need cert but Wof man will want proof its not going back in if there is a cage that wont meet the clearance to the back seat. This should be given by welding up the mounting points (bondi looks like weld when painted)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby haven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Yea I've already got te rear seat out etc so that's not a problem..
Honestly jellis, I never thought of that. Was planning on putting an exo cage on it anyway to use as the roof rack and protect the guards.. but never really thought of just running an exo. Wouldn't be as strong would it? I guess if I just ran the exo I could go much larger steel and still be less weight than having both...
Will definately think on that mate, might be the way to go..

muzilla ill take more pics of the expanding foam... used it to fill the gaps in the rear quarter panel between the trim and the metal as the original hole for speakers had been hacked up so i had to run a piece of wood across it and the moulded trim didnt sit flush...
that and the tail light cavity and the cavity where you find the factory bottle jack. should stop a lot of the dirt and water building up in there when the bottom drain holes block up...

remembered the main reasons i wanted to go internal cage was to allow parallel bars along the roof to use as an overhead roof console. that and to use the rear brace as a mounting point for the race harnesses..
Last edited by haven on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Muzzila I'll take some more pics for ya. I filled the gaps in between the quarter panel trim and the panel as the hole had been butchered to fit 6x9's so I had to put a plate of wood in there...

The rear guard is the bit below the tailights and it runs into the cavity where u find the bottle jack.. Should stop a lot of dirt and water entry and deaden the interior panel for the speakers further forward...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:49 pm

pics of the foam etc...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by haven on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:58 pm

That and using the rear crossover brace as harness mounting points...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby jellis » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm

ah so this is going to be more of a comp rig then?
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby haven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:56 pm

yes and no mate, kind of at that cross road, toes on the line of no return between a mean rig and a comp truck. its currently registered and i do plan to keep it that way and use it 50-60% of the time so it needs to be somewhat tame, but however i did have the goal of making something comp use capable, and almost all reasonable comps ive seen such as the winch truck challenges etc require internal cages.. that is if i can even get entry with my chassis swap work....

now you really got me thinking...

on the one hand id like the internal so that i have the overhead console option, mounts for the racing harnesses and a solid platform to fit the rear cargo barrier too...
however it does crowd up the front pillars...

tossing up whether to go rear half cage just to allow the harness mounts, full cage as previously intended, or just make a harness specific mount using the original rear seat mountings and find another way to fit an overhead roof console...
really like the idea of the exo cage, protects the occupents but also the paneling and doubles as a roof rack etc, would seem like way to much weight and money to have both...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:33 pm

could you attach mounting points through the panels to your exo cage? Or does the cage have to be to far off the panel work to do it tidily?
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby haven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:46 pm

you mean as in mount it to the roll cage internally??? the exo would be close to the panelling but still need a bit of a gap to alllow any flex, etc. i have seen roof bracing mounted through the roof to an internal roll cage if thats what you mean at all?? i wouldnt mind running both as long as the exo was mostly removable as it would total a large amount of weight for the truck and as tough as some of the exo's look, they sorta ruin the style of the vehicle.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:54 am

haven wrote: i have seen roof bracing mounted through the roof to an internal roll cage if thats what you mean at all?? .

Sorta what I mean I was thinking full exo with a basic braced roll bar inside to connect your saftey harnesses to Was thinking that you might get the best of both worlds if you can make the connection between the cages removable
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby haven » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:06 pm

decided to go for a half cage at this point with a built in harness bar and exo cage, then i have the option later on to extend the cage internally ofr comp use if so desired..

got my fabricator mate round other day to fully weld in cab mounts, so they're all braced and welded in and cab officially sitting on the mounts and bolted down, just need an extra bolt that i lost..

started installing the new central remote locking today but then got distracted by the brakes...

removed the rear brake bias distributor and re-bent/ connected the lines to the master cylinder, have decided to remove the lines at the rear coil tower and curve them through the floor in the hole you can see below. from here they will go through the hydro handbrake and return to the rear brake splitter valve. that way the hydro is plumbed in correctly with minimal requirement for complete re-piping and the lines still sit in a safely protected location. just have to block off one of the splitting block ports as i only have the 1 line going to the rear instead of the original 2..
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:10 pm

^^ realised pics aren't the greatest, so just to clarify what your looking at...
-the brake line will bend at that coil mount and run along the crossmember then pass through the floor (via grommet) to the hydro handbrake then back out the other port of the handbrake, run parallel to the first line then join back to the rear brake piping.

welded cab mounts.....
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:14 pm

looked at fuel tank and it fits in the rear cavity of the trol chassis but wont fit completely through the space enough to lift the tank up to the shell height, so the tank would probably sit only 1" higher than most of your lifted mu's does, however the rear hayman reese style towbar is still the lowest rear point therefor it is still protected and with the help of a stronger bash guard, should be fine. did consider getting a custom tank made up to too much hassle to get sender height right etc..

in the process of bonnect scoop hunting as i already have a single scoop as in my previous mu photos but i plan to run the oil cooler horizontally in the side of the engine bay and therefor it will need its own scoop. tossing up between starting from scratch and running twin large scoops patrol style or just adding two smaller scoops on either side to accomodate the cooler. (other scoop is just to keep symmetry)
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:58 pm

dash and steering all fitted and hooked up now, fitted rebuilt calipers and new rotors to the rear the other day.
still waiting on brake lines for the hand brake and will replace the front rotors later when i pull out the diff to save removing the freewheeling hub too many times.
going in next week for the roll cage to be made and then the respray.

fitted up the tailgate and fitted new remote central locking kit.
cut centre panelling to fit larged metal plate in for custom dash panel, will be fitting switches and gauges to the panel.
haven
Isuzu Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Special Mods