• Advertisement

haven's MUTROL sas project

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Re: haven's MUTROL sas project (early days)

Postby supamu » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks for the write up. Looking good.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

City: Manawatu
Vehicle: Isuzu MU with a few mods ;-)

Postby sando » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:35 pm

What do you plan to do with this? Getting it engineered? Plan on doing hardcore wheeling or just the odd track? Running everything mu engine wise? You have alot of possibility to build one wicked ass truck here, good look with the build 8-)
sando
Isuzu Baby

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 97 TF Rodeo

Postby haven » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:28 pm

cheers for the post sando. at this stage im not even thinking about engineering but more than likely not, nothing has changed except the diffs and suspension which are still mounted the way they were from factory. not 100% sure on the finished purpose, at this stage just a more capable version of my current truck, but due to intentions for running original motor,gbox it probably wont ever get into full compt/ tuff truck style racing but i do hope to try out a few of the smaller mud plugs, winch comps and so on...

yea engine wise it will still be the same, just on new mounts, modifying the engine slightly to lift the alternator but nothing too crazy.
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Postby haven » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 pm

about to really get stuck into this. aiming to finish by june at the latest now that finance is working out...

rebuilt the calipers for the patrol , painted them up in an aluminium high temp finish...

begun removing the gearbox and motor from the spare mu to prep for the rebuild...

built some body mount brackets for the rear today using my new hole saw set :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:20 pm

been slowly working away at this, pulled the motor out of my donor mu and have begune stripping it for the rebuild. split the chassis from the body and sold off the chassis today. have an excessively large amount of parts pouring in to be put on it but theyre all kind of last minute stuff.. began stripping the shell to be primed and painted with sound deadener/ chassis paint on the inside to seal it up from rust and the elements. began removing engine bay goodies and loom to prep for painting also. struggling to find a solid way to suport the shell in the shed as the lifting frame keeps tipping it to one side and the stands are to wobbly to comfortably get underneath it or inside it at this stage...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:27 pm

new shocks and coils for the patrol 2" lift coils with 2" foam cell shockies. considering the height difference of the mu to patrol chassis and the custom body mounts it was easier to just go with a very mild suspension lift and just use a 2-3" body lift and it would end up somewhere in the margin of a 6-7" standard mu lift...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:33 pm

more goodies including the new 12,000 lb winch, new racing seat, oil cooler setup, harnesses, recovery gear, helmets, dual battery isolaters...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby Captcol » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:38 pm

so jealous right now, keep going. My mates panel shop uses 44 gallon drums either 1 under each corner of the vehicle or with a scaffolding plank across them
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby haven » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:21 pm

yeai thought about that, got one 44 sitting out the back just have to track down another 3. it would be nice to be able to wheel it so i could take it out the shed and pressure clean the dirt from undearneath it, etc but that mights not be an option. just going to end up with a dirty shed .lol

stripped the inside a bit more and gave the floor a coat of wire wheel and rust converter before priming it and a few other sections with rust kill heavy duty primer. figure ill slowly clean and prime sections at a time and once its all primed go over it again and paint the sucker with the chassis bitumous paint ..
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby MUVIT » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:56 am

sweet!.. Where did u get the racing seat from? & are u goin keep it the original colour? Id go a holden colour like papaya or ultra blue
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

City: Darwin
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 96

Postby haven » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:58 pm

got the seat through ebay... nah planning on painting it all white and getting black camo decals made up so its black and white patterned, like a cow.lol.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby stardog » Fri May 25, 2012 2:02 pm

The paint job will make it look like a MOO MUU LOL.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby dalebroughton » Mon May 28, 2012 11:44 am

dude this looks awsome im really intreuiged on what mods you require to do to fit the body and mu engine and box in? or are you going patrol power appologies if i have missed it in your post any idea of drive shaft use?
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

City: whangarei
Vehicle: isuzu mu ute 2.8 turbo deisel 91

Postby haven » Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 pm

Cheers for the feedback mate. Yea keeping it with mu engine and the 3.1 gearbox. Have to modify of custom make the mounts. Will keep this forum running with the chassis fitting process. Hopefully not far now, just gotta cut out a rusted mid shell mount and paint the underside then I'll start fitting the chassis on..
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby dalebroughton » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:38 pm

sounds good mate keep it up
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

City: whangarei
Vehicle: isuzu mu ute 2.8 turbo deisel 91

Postby haven » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:34 pm

still plodding along guys ...

been cleaning up and stripping/ painting the interior. damn there's a lot of pieces involved in stripping the dash and front interior crap. plus the previous owner , my hat goes off to you for how much mud is on the floors and as such, rust. been sanding and priming the floor section like a boss trying to ensure no more rust comes back. dont wanna just skimp out on this point while its all stripped and risk rust and damage later on...

started pulling down the motor on a side note, will throw pics up soon when i find my phone cable.. so far its looking optimistic for the motor to be able to be rebuilt. given the fact it was emmitting more oil from the exhaust than ive ever seen and ran like a pig i was worried about damaged bottom end or cylinders. so far with the head off the piston heads and bores are looking ok, filthy and carboned up but ok. so fingers crossed that the bottom end is ok too and that it was just a combination of worn parts, incorrect timing, etc. dont wanna have to strip my other motor for parts. will be tearing the sump off soon to find out the verdict once and for all. pics to follow soon

still debating about where i wanna go with this shell look wise, few guys on here been tempting me towards a ute conversion but i think the wagon is a bit more unique and mu looking and on top of that allows much more sheltered storage and potential for rear bars, roof racks etc. so ill probably stick with the wagon for now... might turn my other one into a ute once this projects done...

will keep you all updated as i go, at a slow and painful stage atm sorry.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:36 pm

discovered too that both LH and Rh body mounts (at drivers and passengers feet) have rusted and torn through so there is no plate for the body blocks to sit against on the shell, so ill have to cut away the remaining bracket and weld on a new plate... fun :(
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:39 pm

so as promised here's a few pics of the motor thus far...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:46 pm

and the updates on the body work...
trimmed up the rear quarter panel a bit more and welded in a blanking plate on the back, awaiting my large plates to be cut to seal the rest of the open section as a result of cutting the guard...

tested out my body deadener gun today and it was amazing, sound deadened the interior, engine bay and various exterier sections. overspray everywhere though! lol
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:51 pm

more body shots
haven
Isuzu Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Special Mods