• Advertisement

haven's MUTROL sas project

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Re: haven's MUTROL sas project

Postby haven » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:58 pm

got the tailshaft rotor machined up the other day and bought a trailer mechanical caliper so just have to make a bracket to hold the caliper and figure out how to work it off the cable..

after much criticism from various sources i finally sorted my sh*# out and modified the snorkel to sit lower, which turned out a lot easier to mount a bracket lower on the door due to gap clearance..

painted up the rear bar at work after welding it all up. engine now 100% complete and installed, just need fuel sender adaption to be wired and it may well be start time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Postby iananita » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 am

Snorkel looks much better.
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Postby haven » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:53 pm

filled coolant,oil, etc up christmas eve and attempted first start up...
failed :(
engine sounds good turnign over but wouldnt prime fuel. upon further inspection found the thin metal valve on the primer to be bent and leaking, yet when gravity feeding fuel to the injector pump it still didnt seem to such fuel or fire so it may have a problem with the fuel shutoff on the pump or the lift pump..

further inspection required :(

other than the engine gremlins the remaining tasks are:
fabricate tailshaft handbrake brackets and find smaller caliper,
wire up fuel gauge with potentiometer to calibrate
get tailshafts fabricated
bleed clutch lines
fit horn
thermos*

prob few others but cant think of them.
desided after all the nightmare wiring and installation to scrap the thermo fans and go back to viscous fan. given the aim of the mu is to be reliable and bulletproof i dont like the idea of the cooling system being subject to wiring problems. the only advantage to the thermos was the ability to manually turn on and off for various scenarios but the viscous can handle just about anything so ill go back to the simpler, proven setup..
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:54 pm

back from my big overseas trip now so hoping to get this baby 100% complete by the end of feb in time for the first round of 4wd comps here in s.a!

not quite sure on my rear bar though, would like to hear some feedback on it from the following pics.. i feel like it hands too low at the rear and reduces the departure angle and looks a bit too bulky. though i dont know how else to fit the hayman reese tow hitch other than fabricate one to sit on top of the chassis instead of under it and made a large bash plate to protect the fuel tank...

here's a few to give you an idea of how the rear looks at the moment and the protrusion of the chassis...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 pm

another shot of the rear
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:05 pm

a couple of alternatives i dummied up earlier on, doesnt solve the large gap between the cab and chassis both vertically and in the depth though...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby nb422 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Truck looks awesome, i take it you got it running? Was it a serious issue?
And I would of thought from looking at the pictures the departure angle wouldnt seriously be affected since the bar hangs very little below the chassis rail?
nb422
Isuzu Senior

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:24 pm

can you cut the chassis rails and shorten them, reweld them back on so it is flush with the tailgate of the truck, the hitch is quite low but your truck is far higher than and normal mu :D
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby haven » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:53 pm

thanks for the feedback nb422 and isuzu rob!

i could cut the chassis but i really dont want to due to the significant impact it would have on structural integrity of the chassis, so far i have managed to avoid all cutting and modifying of the chassis design itself with the exception of engine and body mounts.

good points on the departure angles guys, i suppose it is still quite tall anyway, i think what concerns me more is not being able to see the rear setup from behind like in some trucks. i really like the alternative style because it exposes a lot of the tyres and suspension from behind.

on the engine note, sadly no i have not had a chance to look at it as i only just got back from overseas today. tommorow or the day after i will be looking at it and fingers crossed :)
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:16 pm

another thought is to mount the lights between the bar and body
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mattmannz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:03 pm

I would weld in a new cross member further back then cut the chassis rails flush.modify the new cross member to mount the tow hitch into it.

You will get hung up on that bar and wish you had modded it.I assume yoiu have to get it created or approved so a rear cross member mod shouldn't be a problem.

Great truck.

Matt.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Postby daisy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Yeah chop it :lol: in some of the photos the tank looks lower ? That might get hook up first?
daisy
Isuzu Senior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: '94 Isuzu Mu 3.1 auto

Postby haven » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 pm

chop it is off the table, cut up the rear bar the other day and looked at the tow bar, think its gonna be possible but for now im still focusing on getting the motor running :(
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:33 am

still havent fixed the misfire yet but suspecting a blocked or multiple blocked injectors so ill see what the injection place says when i take them in...

sadly i am at a cross-roads with this project :( a good mate of mine who owns a patrol is keen on my parts and suggested i just swap the cab,engine etc onto a mu chassis again and put front/rear lockers in it. im struggling to see the downside to this option as it rules out all my remaining expenses/complications and eliminates the risk of cab/engine mounts fatiguing and breaking off and also the obvious engineering aspects of it. i could have the whole thing up and running in 2 days tops at work with a mu chassis to swap to.

although i do love this project and like the custom nature and appearance of it, i feel it is just becoming to impracticle and potentially unreliable, that coupled with getting engaged,moving house and going back to study, its a bit much on the plate..

not certain on my next move yet but a big thanks to all for the support and kind words along the way.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby nb422 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Would be a shame to part it out before even getting it running when its so close. Either way it is a great build and the whole process you have posted on here is great :D
nb422
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby haven » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 pm

yea i hear you mate. waiting for a qoute on the custom tailshafts so that would be a big factor on whether its worth finishing. it will still have the new engine, cab work just be going backwards to ifs front and leafs...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby dalebroughton » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:11 am

ifs bro you dont want it i know its hard but stick with it im shure all that have seen this would say the same you have come a long way to just throw in the towel dont ya think?
dalebroughton
Isuzu Junior

City: whangarei
Vehicle: isuzu mu ute 2.8 turbo deisel 91

Postby haven » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:28 pm

yea thanks for the kind words "dalebroughton" i know what your saying. i guess im a little on the fence about ifs, it certainly does limit articulation and liftability however with lockers and a winch there's not many places a mu wont get and all new cars are coming out with ifs anyways..
at this point im hanging onto the chassis and still looking to restore the mu chassis to make a complete mu. im thinking along the lines of having a practical, yet aggresive mu for regular use and dailies and then perhaps get a rodeo cab or another mu shell if i can find one and go full comp style and not worry about interior etc.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby nb422 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:48 pm

So have you removed the engine, body etc from the mutrol now?
nb422
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Your so far through this project. Surely the end is in sight. Its far too late to turn back.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

PreviousNext

Return to Special Mods