• Advertisement

haven's MUTROL sas project

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Re: haven's MUTROL sas project

Postby haven » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:14 pm

nope, only thing ive done is remove the lift kit. everything else is untouched. decided under the pressure i will at least see it through now.. rear tailshaft is being made for now to trial it all out and ive figured out a solution to the handbrake off a hotrod website, using a rotor on the rear diff rather than gearbox, which allows the diff bolts to house a strong caliper mount, whereas the gearbox has no locations and the caliper needs to move with the rotor,not independantly like it would mounted to the gbox crossmember....

picking up a standard suspension kit tonight to get it back up off the ground. think i was just getting antsy about not having a mu/4wd and the withdrawal is getting to my head...
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Postby haven » Tue May 27, 2014 4:18 pm

ok so a fair amount of small bits n pieces have happened since the last post...

ended up scrapping the aluminium tank due to size and complications, fitted the standard patrol tank.\
-replaced faulty fuel filter primer and housing to a new one..
-fitted custom tail shaft to rear with rotor at diff end for handbrake assembly..
-fixed a few small oil leaks around engine,
-removed a/c condenser as i decided realistically i'm not going to be running a/c any time soon and the condenser took up too much front room and obstructed air flow to rad..
-fitted extinguishers to floor,
-made up cargo cage
-removed original fue/relay box due to excessive size and no longer running thermos so half the wiring could be ripped out and simplified.
-fitted new smaller box and fitted isolator/circuit breaker to external face along with dual battery isolator..
- fitted rhs slider
-began tacking up lhs slider.
-

amazing how much lower it sits on stadard suspension compared to the old 2" lift kit. definately more than 2", suspect heavily sagged springs.will eventually go back to 2" lift height once its all up and running 100%
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Tue May 27, 2014 4:23 pm

some pics of it sitting at my parents place before the house move...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Tue May 27, 2014 4:24 pm

few more pics of it as she stands now: cleaned her the other days so shes looking pretty :)
touched up a few scratches etc on the paintwork from transporting and working around it, but i guess thats a losing battle once shes out on the road...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby nb422 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:44 pm

Truck looks awesome!
nb422
Isuzu Senior

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby topgun94 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Looks like it is all coming together now! its a credit to you how good this truck looks mate!
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby haven » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:07 pm

tacked up the new towbar frame.
to preserve angles this bolts under the side sections of the chassis as normal but also bolts to the rear piece where the factory tow hook sits. this way it will retain plenty of strength but sit no lower than the chassis.
the angled sides will also be used to mount a rear bash guard too..

also finally found a good spot to fit the rear work/reverse lights on the thing :P
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby nb422 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:23 pm

Looks good, did you end up getting the engine running yet?
nb422
Isuzu Senior

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 4jb1 EGR Blocked, Free flow exhaust, 33x12.5 Mudstars on 15x10s. 32x10.5r16 on 15x8 -44.
Spring over axle, winch bar, 50mm bodylift, balljoint flip. Exo cage soon to come. Fully certified even.

Postby haven » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Yea engines up and running. It was just a case of injector pipes wrong way round after all... Runs great now! With no exhaust and just a dump pipe it's pretty loud at the moment. Lol
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:25 pm

mate of mine welded up a new caliper/diff bracket so i bolted that up to trial fit the caliper...
as you can see it does sit slightly lower than the diff which is a bit of an issue both for clearance and getting caught up and ripped off/bend... might have to shrink it down a bit..
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 pm

from below
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:30 pm

painted and trial fitted the rear bar now that its all welded up..
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:34 am

Amazing work so far I have tried doing brake, drive train and suspension mods on 4x4 quads so I know some of the issues you have faced (though not on the same scale :D ) Is there room to mount the caliper from the top as that seems to be most of your over/(under?) hang.
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby haven » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:03 pm

yea ive rotate the caliper up slightly but its the rotor that hangs the lowest by far and that bracket is too big. my mate is cutting it down for me this wk so hopefully it will sit closer to the diff.
im also machining down the rotor diameter a bit to reduce the chance of catching it on something...

finished off the cargo barrier now. the bottom half is secured with ubolts and the top bolts up to the top of the roll cage loop via a butterfly nut. this allows me to easily undo the nut and fold the barrier down if the need arises to transport large objects,access the rear...

rear bar all bolted up now and spotlight/trailer plug wired up.
admittedly im a little nervous about the strength of the draw bar section as ultimately its secured by welds, should be fine for my small trailer but i might make better recovery points rather than risk those kind of forces through the hitch...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 pm

need to buy a fuel sender/pickup for the patrol tank and rewire the sender through a potentiometer to calibrate to the mu dash...
ebay has them for around 90 bucks so when the funds allow it thats the next step..

also still to go:
machine down rotor
finish/weld caliper mounts for tailshaft.
get front driveshaft made
finish exhaust (currently ends at drivers door)
get bolts to fit lhs slider.
check cause of central locking not working.

im sure theres small bits and pieces im forgetting but they are the main limiting factors.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby haven » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:34 pm

also had an idea for mounting the window nets..
thought seing as its going for the plates "termun8" and its semi military looking, i'd take it to the next level.
with inspiration from this apocalypse vehicle i made up window templates for the front and rear glass which would rivet into the door
frame/rear panel and provide a point for the window nets to quickly and easily be fitted/removed on..
the pic doesnt do it too much justice and im really happy with the look, its just a bit of a non -return idea as i would have to drill and rivet this aluminium shape to the vehicle.
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby PaladinAus1 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Love the window nets. If you want to go real Gucci on the interior get the Kings Arsenal seat covers. Very high speed low drag, even if the MOLLE webbing isn't accessible with the cargo barrier there...

PaladinAus1
Isuzu Baby

City: Adl
Vehicle: 2.8 TD, Auto, Intercooler, ,

Postby haven » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:47 am

I just saw these built by smitt bilt yesterday!!! Bloody awesome!!
I've got more mole stuff than I know what to do with from my army career so it would be ideal!
I'll have to. Look up this brand...
haven
Isuzu Guru

Postby PaladinAus1 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:43 am

The Kings Arsenal ones are a bit more refined than the SmittyBilt one's, with more covering choices, but at a cost. Personally I'd probably just get the SmittyBilt ones again because even I'm not redneck enough to rock the Kryptek camo in my daily haha. Always got a interesting looks from cops seeing the seat covers. Some thought it was awesome, others were concerned I was a zombie survival fruitcake.
PaladinAus1
Isuzu Baby

City: Adl
Vehicle: 2.8 TD, Auto, Intercooler, ,

Postby Lamoo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Great work! You may have already mentioned this, but is it possible to move the drive shaft disc brake to the other end of the shaft? i.e. the Transfer case end.

Keep it up. Your ring looks amazing.
Lamoo
Isuzu Baby

City: Townsville
Vehicle: Not Yet

PreviousNext

Return to Special Mods