• Advertisement

Front tow hook Is this enough?

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Front tow hook Is this enough?

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:03 pm

towhook.jpg

The new wizard has no fitted tow points which has to be addressed even though it will not be really used off road in the foreseeable future. If fitted any hook has to pass scrutiny and be able to be relied on 100%. Nothing less will do but at the same time its hard to justify a major engineering exercise while the bighorn is the real off road wagon.
In the above picture you can see the original mounting point consisting of 2 10mm captive bolts On there own these are not enough but If I was to bolt a 60x5 angle iron to these in such a way that a third 14mm bolt goes through the tie down eye and a second piece of angle iron that is also bolted to the two holes at the back of the body mount thus sandwiching the tie down eye and supplying 5 anchor points.
The first angle iron will be long enough to bolt a rated hook in a suitable location.
Obviously I still need to thing about the current nudge bar mounting as it will be affected by this but is the basic idea sound?

Will it be a cheap easy way for other Mu owners to achieve a desirable result?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Front tow hook Is this enough?

Postby Captcol » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:28 pm

This is part of the problem I have, use standard hook or modifiy to mount nudge bar and try to re-sort the tow hook afterwards ... eventually a custom bar but atm its either tow hook or front protection
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby mudslinger » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:40 pm

i had a hook mounted in those factory holes for 4 years, never failed nor any issues until someone thought it be wise to pull me sideways. it didnt like that.
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 91 mu 2.8TD manual

Postby lewis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:26 pm

I might have to give this a go on the mu
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Postby geeves » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Ive decided not to go with the above design on the wizard. I have decided that as I have the bighorn the wizard shall stay on road and if I get the hooks done I will be tempted so no hooks for now.
The thing to remember with hooks is that if you do a bodgy hook its you that gets to do the first aid. Do you fancy fixing a 1 inch hole in someone.
In your case my thoughts would be
1 Brian Howat at Howat engineering Tell him you know Andrew and myself. Andrew recently spent a lot of money there. Brian has a series 2 landrover with v12 bmw engine Hes building himself a new rally truck based on the turbod version of the same engine
2 Wellington Towbar services They did the rear hooks on my bighorn. They can also knock you up whatever you want in the way of bumpers
3 Pete at Bowler motors Hes done a lot of hooks and is a CCVC inspector
4 G Guy Motors since they have already done some work on your new truck
5 Carl at Wellington 4wd centre Hes not a fan of Mus though. Tell him you know me for a small surcharge
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:03 pm

I have a friend who is a fabricator in Auckland who is going to have a look over Labour weekend. The only hole in existence is actually in the body mounts which I hear are welded to the chassis not that strongly. There is definitely the option of mounting a hook there, but then beefing up the body mount with some extra brackets/gussets to the chassis.
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby lewis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Hey Geeves if i can figure out a way of mounting a 3.5T shackle will that be ok for the club? There is the standard hole for a tie down point which could have a thick as plate welded to one side of it up to the chassis which I think would be strong enough
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm

You would need to contact Lew or Phil to confirm this for Wellington Family. If Im visualising your idea correctly I would not be exceptionally happy with it
A couple of things to think about.
As soon as you weld directly to the chassis you will have to get your truck certified.
As engineering is required its best to do it once to a standard all clubs will accept. Below is a link to the ccvc website pages on the subject. These specs satisfiy all but Nelson club who want 12.8 bolts as the only extra to this.
Where was the hookk on the old bighorn? factory was underneath. If your hook was there you will know how much fun it was to attach a strap. A shakle will be 10 times more fun esspecialy while you are up to your waist in icy muddy water and the wellington southerly breeze is blowing (wellington breeze = anywhere else gale)
http://www.ccvc.org.nz/index.php/ccvc/c ... 050803.pdf
http://www.ccvc.org.nz/index.php/ccvc/c ... 050803.pdf

As an aside I discussed my earlier idea with phil and he accepted it in principle. Discussed it with a ccvc inspector who said change from 5mm to 8mm steel and it should be ok
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:46 pm

I dont plan on getting my truck certified. If necessary I will coat that region with mud, haha. The hook on the bighorn was mounted to the bullbar mounts (custom for the body lift) made by the same guy who is going to have a look at options next weekend, so yeah it wasnt underneath. I think a hook will be better than a shackle but I dont have a lot of options.
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:42 pm

I know there are lots of Mus around with hooks. Most are mounted on bull bars but Im sure there are other solutions. When asked on here though no one ever answers.
Hooks are more popular in NZ although shackles are used overseas No one says you cant use a shackle but remember a snatch strap breaks a little over 8 ton You mount must be much stronger than that. Print out the ccvc link and take it with you.
With the history of that truck Im surprised it doesnt have proper recovery points
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Special Mods