• Advertisement

2.8 Handbrake fixed permanently

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

2.8 Handbrake fixed permanently

Postby supamu » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:51 am

Got sick of having to fix this every time it went for a warrant. Hopefully sorted for good now. Picked up a 3.1 whole diff assembly including handbrake and cables. All fitted and working well at present.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

City: Manawatu
Vehicle: Isuzu MU with a few mods ;-)

Re: 2.8 Handbrake fixed permanently

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 am

did mechanic notice the change? Ive been thinking of the same thing but asked first and was told it needs low vol certification.
Only issue I can see is the bigger discs causing brake balance problems with the front so may need to fit 3.1 brakes at the front as well.
I was looking at the same thing for my bighorn. The catch on the bighorn is that the spring perches are in a different place so cant use a Mu diff assembly but as far as I can tell the whole brake assembly should bolt to my diff.
My handbrake has been trouble free for the last 4 years Still useless but working perfectly
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby supamu » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:09 am

The diff we got was a bit more work being from a wizard coil sprung. But with our truck being modified any diff was going to need grinding and new mounts. The diff was 4.3 ratio to our 4.55 so changed diff heads. The wheels fit under perfectly. The handbrake is now mounted through the floor instead of dash. The cables worked perfectly for our lifted MU using one from the wizard and one MU. Has not seen mechanic yet, but shouldn't be a problem it looks really tidy using the centre console from the wizard. Certainly far better then it was, pulls up going down our steep driveway. Not sure about cert, but if it needs it we have a list of other things we'd like to do at the same time. Could get away as maintenance replacing isuzu diff with isuzu diff. Our current cert plate is chocka, no room to list everything we have done.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Postby supamu » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:11 am

Should add not sure about any balancing problems our front is hilux. Feels good to drive though
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:51 pm

My father in law has built a couple of kit cars. To get round the powers that be he was very carefull to use parts that matched the original set-up from the donor car. Even the master cylinder and booster. He reckoned that to do anything else would of required a engineer to sit down and calculate that it would work. In your case this would mean same size rotors same piston size in the callipers and master.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Was the 3.1 diff also about 50 to 60mm wider (from wheel mounting surfaces) than the 2.8?
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Wizard and Mu are the same I believe Ubs69 bighorn is bigger
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Special Mods