• Advertisement

machine a combustion chamber in 3.1 pistons

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

machine a combustion chamber in 3.1 pistons

Postby moseswal2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi

I have attached model of a tool that I want to use to machine combustion chambers into the pistons while they are still in the block.(PDF 3 pages)

The yellow part is plastic to protect the sleeves ant to seal it from shavings.
The blue part is mild steel that will bolt to the block and push the piston down to BDC and keep it stable so that it does not move around.
The red part will rotate inside the blue part.The cutting tool will be the shape of the combustion chamber and attached to the bottom of the red part.

I will have two cutting tools, 1 to roughf out and the 2nd to finish.

I want to use a sleeve bore machine to drive the tool because I'm not going to remove the block.

I have the head, cam and complete injection system from a 2.5 and I want put it on a 3.1. Everthing will bolt on but I need to make the combustion chambers in the pistons.

Is this crazy or can it be done.

Will the piston get damaged with the twisting force inside the block while drilling.
Is there enough meat for a 10mm (migt not be this deep) deep combustion chamber.
Will the piston fail anfter being machined.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moseswal2
Isuzu Baby

City: Prtoria
Vehicle: Isuzu gobig LWB

Re: machine a combustion chamber in 3.1 pistons

Postby geeves » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:50 pm

If the pistop crown was 10mm thick it would melt on top as it wouldnt be able to transmit enough heat away. I dont know how thick they are but I see a holed piston in your future
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby moseswal2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi

It will probably only be 5 to 7mm deep. The 2.5 combustion chamber is about 10mm deep but the crown is probibly cast thicker.

Thanks Geeves If the crown is 0nly 10mm thick then it can't be done.

Does any one know how thick the crown is.
Last edited by moseswal2 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moseswal2
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Better way would be talk to someone that custom makes pistons. One word of caution. These guys normally are making stuff for race motors where moneys no object. Yours will be more expensive as they are one offs. Hope you have a sympathetic bank manager
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby moseswal2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi

Thank you Geeves please look at attached document, shows the cross sections of Isuzu pistons. The 4JG2 T is om pg 23.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moseswal2
Isuzu Baby

Postby mrstrat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi

I am assuming that the 3.1 is an indirect injection engine? If so, you may find that the crown wont be thick enough for a chamber to be machined into it. Another thing to remember is that EVEN IF YOU COULD machine a chamber into the piston, you have to get the shape, the depth and location of the combustion chamber spot on etc as the injectors location and spray pattern will be optimised for the combustion chamber. another thing: compression ratio changes? Compression pressure changes due to removal of material from the piston... Also soemthing to think about: Is the combustion chamber in the 2.5 a separate machined piece (possibly steel for heat tolerance) that is cast into the piston during manufacture?
mrstrat
Isuzu Baby

City: brisbane
Vehicle: 98 R9 Rodeo turbo diesel

Return to Special Mods