• Advertisement

MU sunroof - SUCCESS!

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

MU sunroof - SUCCESS!

Postby MUsician » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Following up on May last year - initial help request... http://www.clubisuzu.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2477&p=18880#p18880

I can confidently claim success (so far) for the DIY sunroof rubber seal repair. My partner and I are computer heads :geek: - NOT mechanical/car minded at all, so pretty proud of our effort. I am happy to go thru the procedure if anyone is interested but I won't bore you with it here. Quick hint: removal of sunroof does not involve any undoing of screws!!! Just gentleness and patience.

Much research, trips to sunroof places and forums later... I'd like to share that we actually found an appropriate rubber at Clarke Rubber. A lucky find. The original part was ridiculously expensive from Japan and not the sort of part you would find 2nd hand without a miracle on your side.

Also, spent a good 20 mins trying to clear the clogged drain holes around the sunroof gutter (clogged despite blowing them out from time to time}. Best tool I found for the job was some robust whipper-snipper cable (orange one) and a bit of water to soften the "stuff" and perseverence. Could insert it all the way to the bottom eventually. Still don't know where the exit point is underneath tho', somewhere behind/in front body mounts but ??? no find! Can anyone be more specific please?

Anyhow, here's some piccys...

MU_sunroof_repaired_01.jpg
MU_sunroof_repaired_02.jpg

The rubber itself (from Clark Rubber)...

clark_rubber_01.jpg
clark_rubber_02.jpg

Happy MU, happy me. No more leaks - tried and true. Hope this is helpful to someone and thanks again to all who sent advice. Happy 2012...Cheerio!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I miss my MU"
MUsician
Isuzu Baby

City: Sydney
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 3.1L Turbo Diesel
5 speed manual
SOLD

Re: MU sunroof - SUCCESS!

Postby macca81 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm

there just woundering what size rubber strip u got
macca81
Isuzu Baby

City: wellington
Vehicle: ISUZU MU SOON

Postby MUsician » Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi Macca- If you refer to the close up photo of the rubber above, the round part measures 13mm.
The inside "slide on" area (where you can see the metal) is 12mm depth. that's as close as I can be with measuring rubber.
I have a small piece left over which I am happy to post over to you if it doesn't cost too much. Doesn't look like you have Clark Rubber in NZ and the actual item is not listed on the website apart from a picture on thIs page...
http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber-and-flooring/rubber-strips-sheeting.html?cat=132
Alternatively, I could post it to a Clarke rubber store with your name and contact, so you can then order a length from them. Cheers.
"I miss my MU"
MUsician
Isuzu Baby

5 speed manual
SOLD

Postby MUsician » Wed May 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Macca, I just found this!
http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/pinchweld-with-top-blister.html
It's the top right - PLU9815
That should make life easier.
Cheers.
"I miss my MU"
MUsician
Isuzu Baby

5 speed manual
SOLD

Postby AllblackMu » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:57 pm

I did a quick fix. I used dum dum which sticks to the glass better then the rubber so the sunroof could still be opened. It doest leak at all and if you kinda want it done fast then id recommend doing this untill you find a suitable rubber surround. Hope this helps
AllblackMu
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 94 Mu 3.1, steel rims, A/T tyres, straight through exaust, boost control

Return to Special Mods