• Advertisement

RHS front bumper

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

RHS front bumper

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:11 pm

After a tree stump ambushed my original bumper I decided to build my own.
reason.JPG

I decided to use 75 x 50 RHS with a 4mm wall as it is strong and easy to work with and is wide enough to satisfy our wof rules
After cutting to length I made the new mounting brackets and centred the bar in place to drill 2 of the mounting holes
plan.jpg

Then measured the first bend cut a v out of the back bent round and welded. This leaves a nice unbroken front to the bar which also gives a nice even bend
istweldb.JPG

Then a second bend takes the end round to match the guard (no photo yet)
Still to do
final trim and cap the ends plus grind the welds
rust proof and paint
Maybe take the top hoop off the old bullbar and mount onto this one.

What is a good way to rustproof the inside of the bar or will a couple of drain holes be enough.
Any other thoughts on this design?
Maybe in the future a second piece of rhs on top then remount the winch which will allow the bumper to mount higher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: RHS front bumper

Postby Demonic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Looks good Alan.
Once you got it how you want it and put the end caps on, id have the drain holes - 2 or 3, and spray inside with fish oil, somehow getting it to really mist up inside the tube. then use pop rivits to seal it again, and paint.

Drain hole by themself are useless, water will get in and mud then mud will plug the holes leaving water to rust it.

Did you custom fab the mounts for this bar from the chassis again?
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:19 am

Mounts are pieces of 10mm steel bent to a right angle then drilled to match the original bumper mounting holes and captive nuts.
I was going to leave the drains open as the mounting holes are not sealed so water is always going to get in
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Demonic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:51 am

May have to have a look at how you did the mounts, then maybe i will have a go at making one.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:59 am

Bighorn is quite different to the mu in the way the front bumper mounts but your welcome to hay a look.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:07 am

The best way to rust proof the inside is to fully seal it so no air can get in. Rust needs moisture and air so if you eliminate the air you are sweet. I'm guessing your bolting the RHS to the mount and the mount to the chassis. If you use crush tubes through the RHS then it will be sealed???
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby Tread » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:44 pm

You could always get it hot dipped galvinised that way it will never rust, well not before the rest of the truck rusts or another tree jumps out in front of you :D
Tread
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Observing from the sidelines while the family grows

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Yes thought about galv esspecialy with the number of beach trips I do. How much does it cost? As this may change again is it possible to paint the outside then strip this paint for galv or would it be better to make sure its finished before anything.
ps wof time is 3 weeks away
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Demonic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:46 pm

Its a shame work is so busy otherwise id get it put through the baths at work for you,

Dunno on cost but try Valley Platers or electrozinc, we use both at work for our RAV frames.
Cheers,
Andrew
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Looks Really good and simple ImageThe main section of mine was built the same way but I used 4 x 2 channel with a 6mm wall. Apparently you can use 8mm. No water problems but bloody heavy when you want to fit it on your own. Bulls havent bent this one though.
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:21 pm

I thought about the larger thickness but would rather bend the bumper than the chassis.
The old bumper did a fairly good job of protecting everything but was mortally wounded in its efforts. Only damage to the car was the headlight knocked off its adjuster and the flat panel that forms part of the inner guard bent. Nothing that a screwdriver, 5 pound hammer and 3 hours couldnt fix at home.
A more solid bumper would of bent the chassis A factory one would probably seen doors that dont open. It was wound out in second when it hit the tree stump and stopped dead.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:57 am

OUCH
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby mulover » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:47 pm

A local guy back home had his whole winch bar, sides included, made out of 6 or 8mm plate, was heavy as but he only ever put one dint in it and even then the tree had a bigger dint in it!!!!
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Stage one is complete complete with a coat of paint. It can take a highlift lifting a wheel at the first corner on both sides but the mounting brackets bent when I tryed the same thing right at the end of the bar. May have to make the mounts out of something heavier than 8mm or brace them. Number plate is now mounted to the side of the winch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:09 am

Good news the wof man accepted it without question. He did however fail me for not reconnecting the sway bar (oops) 10 minutes tonight and back tomorrow.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Demonic » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:14 pm

HAHAHA!!!!
Cheers,
Andrew
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks lol doh etc
actually I thought about the swaybar after I left the car at the shop but though never mind he will fail a loose tie rod end and binding wheel bearing anyway. He passed those
Its already ready to go back for the recheck.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby bigskellsy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:35 pm

The bumpers on my 88 troop have seen better days. I was thinking of modding front and rear bumpers. Any ideas on the minimum diameter of the steel for WOF? Knowing that the factory bumper is thin as!
bigskellsy
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 1988 Trooper 2.6

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Min radius of any bend is 50mm front and 5mm rear otherwise as long as it looks safe it passes
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Looks good Alan, bravo, I like the idea of putting the top part of the old bull bar over the winch. You could temporaly block off one end and pour some rust proof paint in the other and slosh it around and then pour it back out, then just leave the ends open??
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Next

Return to Special Mods