• Advertisement

RHS front bumper

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Re: RHS front bumper

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks Wayne. This post has been resuected from a year or so ago and that hoop is still on the to do list as is raising the winch so I can raise the bumper a little more. Only got 45 degree approach at the moment with the 32s on and a little better with the 33s
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby bigskellsy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 pm

You've given me a little inspiration to making my own bumpers!
bigskellsy
Isuzu Baby

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 1988 Trooper 2.6

Postby lewis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:17 pm

Nice that looks pretty solid. Novice question - how did you bend 10mm steel 90degrees - or did you get somewhere with serious tools to do it lol?
Id agree with trying to paint then fish oil the inside and then leaving the ends open - easy to hose out and can dry fast so less likely to rust.
Did you make your own winch mount too? I like the look of that and there is no way im going to spend thousands on a winch bar
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:57 am

The original 10mm mounts were made from some steel I had at home that was already the right shape. Problem was it was soft steel and didnt like the exit at speed from a hazard at the club champs resulting in the whole bumper tilting upwards. Got some new medium tensile steel about 8mm thick thinking I could bend it at home. Hit it a couple of dozen times with a 5 pound hammer and nothing happened. Took it back to the engineer that sold it to me and they heated it with oxy and bent it for a small fee. They had a press but it was broken. Redrilled and its all good again.
The winch carrier was made by an engineer thats since left the country Its just 50mm anglle iron. My welding isnt good enough to make that
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Previous

Return to Special Mods