• Advertisement

Custom bullbar and rear bumper

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Custom bullbar and rear bumper

Postby geoffnielsen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi guys looking at building a custom bullbar and rear bumper bar for my MU just wondering if anyone has any pics or plans i can use for ideas.
geoffnielsen
Isuzu Baby

City: Toowoomba
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu MU 2.8TD

Re: Custom bullbar and rear bumper

Postby Demonic » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:52 am

Geeves is making a new one for his BIGHORN @ http://www.clubisuzu.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&p=1596&sid=c349e7b6eb45464ba399394722a96bd1#p1596, but from what he tells me the front of the Mu is alot different to the Bighorns.. If you figure out how to mount the front bar up PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post pics cos im pretty suck atm. or if anyone has some mounting pics they could share to get us off to a start.

The rear should be easy, I started making one at work using some 75X50X3mm box section. with a bar at the end to go up and protect the lights, add in some crush tube and bobs pretty much ur uncle. when i get it finished ill post some pics.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby jezza » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Here is my rear bar
and here is my front bar
and here is how not to mount it :oops:
jezza
Isuzu Junior

City: Chch
Vehicle: 94 Mu

Postby walruz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Ouch !!!!!
walruz
Isuzu Junior

City: Sunshine Coast
Vehicle: 1996 Bighorn 4JG2 Auto.

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:25 pm

Mine is not a winch bar but was made to keep dairy animals (including stropey bulls that pushed my standard tube bars into the bonnet) and improve the front entry angles for our runoff and fairly easy to make. Image I didnt make a photo diary but found a couple of sketches. This photo is the front mount made of 6mm plate. ImageImageA pattern was made off the original mounts with a piece of cardboard so it could be shaped into a template and it looked something like the one in the sketchImage Then with the original bumper gone I bolted the steel plates on and made the bumper to fit from there. The main beam is a bit of 4x2 channel (only because it is what I had available) but I dont see why you cant use box or whatever. The main beam has a 10degree bend where the mount plates meet - I cut a notch out of the back and folded it welding the fold and the mount plate into it and the cut a notch out and folded again to wrap around the front. Sort of shown on sketch. The panels under neath are 3mm and add some ridgidity The top bar is 32mm galve and the uprights are 2 40mm agles welded to make a box section with 6mm walls. One day I will lower the top rail by about 32mm and repaint -dont use supercheap spraypaint Hope this helps -if I did it again Iwould probably mock op the mount plates with plywood so that it would be easier to get the shape right
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby mulover » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:55 pm

A guy I knew mounted his winch bar like slightlydodgy has and it stood up to alot of hard winching no worries. He also mounted some recovery hooks just in front of the mounting bolts. His up rights where out of 6mm plate.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby justinw » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:22 am

I took these the other day. Note the use of three bolts. When this bar was put on it only had two and kept moving. There was a hole in the bar (ARB 2002 Rodeo) that didn't line up with anything so we drilled it and put a a bolt in. Note also that there is another single bolt connection inboard of the three. After years of hard use the bolt holes went a bit sloopy so that is why there are plates welded on. (Ignore the bad welds, mig welders outside in the wind aren't fun)

DSCF4227.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justinw
Isuzu Baby

City: Tauranga
Vehicle: 1998 3.1 TD Wizard - lots of mods
1989 V8 Nissan Safari in bits
1991 4.2 Nissan Safari LWB tow wagon

Return to Special Mods