• Advertisement

Welded diff

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Welded diff

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:41 pm

My mate has a hilux that he uses as his farm ute but it is road leagal (marginally) and has no mods. It is 4x4 but with open diffs and he was thinking of locking the rear one permanately (wife wont let him spend money). He runs mud grips and ocasionally goes to town in it. We used to do this to the diffs in our paddock rally cars (remember those days) and we both used to hang out with a guy who had a 9inch Detriot locker in a chevy comodore and then a chevy HT Monaro. Any thoughts
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: Welded diff

Postby Tread » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:16 am

If he wants to keep it road legal he will stuggle to get w.o.f because as soon as the truck turns a corner on a hard surface the tyres will bounce and chirp. the whole inside wheel doing less revalutions than the outside, will put alot of strain on the axles and could break. Also welded diffs can cause issues on side slopes. A locker only engages if one wheel is spinning faster than the other.
Tread
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Observing from the sidelines while the family grows

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:11 pm

He wont get a wof with a welded rear diff but if its part time 4wd he could do the front diff as this is not checked at wof time. I trust its a rangi truck!
I also cannot recommend this mod for the reasons above
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:16 pm

Rangi truck? Havent heard that term but he does gravitate between wof and eb reistrations. Wouldnt doing the front diff make tight turns difficult and put major presure on the front driveline? Personally I would replace it (it only a toymota) or spend some money
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:52 am

I thought the term "rangi" came from "footrock flats" which was prime Taranaki literature.
Yes turning with a hard locked diff does get hard and things might break. The hilux front diff isnt that strong anyway
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Personally i would never lock a front diff and auto lockers in the front scare me as they can take over on grass slopes. Welding a diff on a vechile that still travels on a public road is also not a great idea. Even if he's not allowed to spend much money, I would have a look around for a limited slip diff, they are very common for a hilux and I think he would be able to find one pretty cheap. And then he could shim it up so its pretty much locked and only lets go on the road.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:29 pm

He went and sold the hilux today reckons hes on a deal with a little quad truck
and will buy a road ute post calving (when us farmers have a life again) be interested how it goes
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby mulover » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:03 am

My good friend down in Invers sells those little suzuki mini trucks and the dairy farmers love them. You can get them with diff lock and heaps of other add ons, and plenty of room on the back for a couple of calfs.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Return to Special Mods