• Advertisement

Extra Lights

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Extra Lights

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:11 pm

Calving has started which means back to the early mornings. I have enough light fowards with the standard headlights but I have been caught a few times not being able to see beside the Front wheel ie when you are turning sharp there is no light to show where the wheel track will be. So far Ive only hit the odd rock or small hole but one day there will be something bad :twisted: down there. Im not a great fan of overhead spots on double cabs espescially on the bar over the tray as its 2/3 of the way down the vehicle (and in some cases just looks wrong) and I also have an underpass that I have about 4 inches clearance in. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: Extra Lights

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Hand held spot light or 20 watt marker lamps on the sides. These give a general wide beam which is useless for anything more than a few meters away but thats all you need.
Not sure how legal that setup is but if they are wired through the 4wd switch they cant be used on the road so shouldnt be a problem
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:29 pm

The hanheld spot is what Ive been doing but trying to change gears steer and hold the light while watching stock can get interesting. The lamps might fly Would a pair of recessed fog lights be worth looking at
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Could be worth a try as some fog lamps have a decent spread of light. You can also get wide beam driving lamps as opposed to the more normal spot lamps. Rally drivers use a set of each for night stages
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:56 am

I have a set of 2.5" spread beam lights recessed into the ends of my winch bar for this reason. they where like $20 each from super cheap and have a really good spread. I think the law states that you are only allowed 4 lights facing forward, these are counted as facing forward, so if you have a set of spot lights then you will have to hook them up so they only go when your in 4wd, which I have done, takes a bit of nutting out though.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby muzila » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Thats interesting. I might fail my next WOF then as I have 6 lights in the front. 2 normal headlights, 2 spotlights that work of high beam but can be switched off and a small pair of day lights that turn on by the ignition switch. They can be turned off though.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:30 pm

The rule only applys to headlights and driving lights. The day lights will be unfocused low power so the rule does not apply. You may have to educate the wof mechanic on this tho
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:58 pm

mulover wrote:I have a set of 2.5" spread beam lights recessed into the ends of my winch bar for this reason. they where like $20 each from super cheap and have a really good spread. I think the law states that you are only allowed 4 lights facing forward, these are counted as facing forward, so if you have a set of spot lights then you will have to hook them up so they only go when your in 4wd, which I have done, takes a bit of nutting out though.

Would you mind putting up a pic please? I have a suspicion that they are where my indicators are. Thanks
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby mulover » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:20 am

Will see if I can find one for you.
muzlia, not sure when it comes to day lights, totally depends on the person doing the WOF though.
mulover
Isuzu Master

Postby muzila » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:12 pm

My day lights are 55 watt small driving lights. Tiny little things. As soon as I find a dam camera I will get some photos up, see what people think.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby supamu » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:23 am

I can't find a really clear picture of our light bar, but you may be able to make this out through the mud.

Two spotties, with a wide beam each side on the light bar. We use it for night challenges. Thought it might get knocked about on the winchbar, but it doesn't the scrub seems to go underneath and each side.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

City: Manawatu
Vehicle: Isuzu MU with a few mods ;-)

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:54 am

nice pic. I like the location of your shovel and the bridle your using to pullsomeone back out of the hole
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby supamu » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 pm

Yeah I can't quite recall what was going on there. It's Thompsons track, the bog holes. I think we were directed there with the idea that the truck would slide over that log, but it moved and turned into quite a recovery. Our winch had packed a sad, couldn't wind the cable in so wrapped it around the light bar.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:12 pm

Is that the real Thompsons track or the one behind Otaki?.
If its the real one I think I know where you are It took 3 hours each way to the top from Katikati on foot but most of the holes had no water in them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby dikikx » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:15 pm

hey guys! whats the rule? .. only 4 headlights? so mean i cant put any foglights in top of my truck? . which im actually planning to do. about 4 lights on top .
dikikx
Isuzu Baby

City: invercargill
Vehicle: mu wizard 1997

Postby supamu » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:35 pm

It goes from Katikati to Matamata, an awesome track.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:06 pm

Awesome pic!!!!! the area that Im trying to see in the dark is that area behind your front lights sort of from the front wheel back to the front pillar out at a right angle to the ute. i just thought that some of you guys (or girls) might hve ideas from night trips On a dark morning it gives you quite a fright to find that you just went hard lock around the watertrough and didnt even know it was there untill you see it with the taillights
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby mulover » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:19 am

Here's one of the front of my truck, sorry its not close up, but the little lights work a treat.
4wding 004 - Copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mulover
Isuzu Master

Postby mulover » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:20 am

So that photo didn't like being re-sized, Have a better one at work I think.
mulover
Isuzu Master

Postby supamu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:54 pm

If you have wide angle lights on the front like mulovers, you should see anything as you approach it, before it gets in that area. We have used a heldheld for shooting, but like you said better if you have a passenger. You could always try some boy racer leds like these

http://www.solware.co.uk/customise-car- ... kits.shtml

They could do the trick lol
supamu
Isuzu Junior

Next

Return to Special Mods