• Advertisement

Alternator In Place Of AC Compressor

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Re: Alternator In Place Of AC Compressor

Postby supamu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:39 pm

We left the old one there for the vacumn pump and got a reasonably priced 120amp mitsubishi alternator mounted up where the air con was.
supamu
Isuzu Junior

City: Manawatu
Vehicle: Isuzu MU with a few mods ;-)

Postby dasnoboarder » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Be good to see the bracket on your set-up to compare :-)
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby ONO2HI » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Have you got part number and specs of the unit you used?
ONO2HI
Isuzu Junior

City: napier
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu, SASed, hilux diffs front and rear, 4.8 diffs, custom crossover steering, ifs hub swap, SOA in the rear, rear disc conversion, 35x12.5x15 MTRS

Postby bedford4x4 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:47 pm

dasnoboarder wrote:I've seen a few people saying not to go for the Universal BXU12121 unit, and one or two saying they've had good experience.

I was a bit unsure of it's low down charge capacity (engine idle), and Pig's warning, so I gave them all my requirements and see what else they came up with.

They've recommended a:
A13705
1996 Nissan Pathfinder/Mistral TD27
100amp
Internally Regulated

Which they say has low speed charge capacity.

BUT, it's $526 (incl GST)! Rebuilt unit.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on this? Are they durable, easy to replace parts on? Too much to pay?

Andy.

Try a Bosch clone - they are very simple, easy to wire up (unlike the crap Hitachi unit on the Isuzus), the internal regulator/diode block comes off by undoing 2 screws, and you can get 14.7 volt regulators for trucks to go on which make your lights a lot whiter. If they stop charging, you throw away the regulator and screw on another one. Cheap and easy.

Ford Ingram alternators are a Bosch clone, you can get all sorts of amperages. The Fairmonts used to run 100amp ones, but you can get higher output versions now.
bedford4x4
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Turbo-diesel, Bighorn intercooler + bonnet scoop, 2 1/2" exhaust with free-flow muffler and resonator, 1" body lift, 2" rear shackle lift, torsion bars wound up, ball-joint swap, fuel tank lift, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, rock-sliders, aftermarket alloy bash-plate.

Postby lewis » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:49 am

I have come to my truck this morning with a flat battery. Driving home last night I noticed the voltage was really low and did think the alternator might be screwed - few mud/water holes yesterday. The dash lights don't stay on but I have noticed that the battery light never comes on when you put the key in like it used to.

Once the battery is recharged Ill put it back in and test it. Anyway I want to do this mod because my aircon pump sits there and does nothing. I would like to see/hear about some more peoples setups, only ones that do not require modifying the mounting of the standard alternator (which will stay to run vac pump). Likewise I don't want to modify the turbo intake. Costs are important too.

I do have a winch but what will determine the alternator I use will be how well it fits.

Thanks
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Your charge relay has gone. About 45 from an auto sparky. Unfortunately it probably meand the regulator has gone on alternator. A lot of auto sparkys will test the alternator in situ for close to free
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Ah cool thanks. The battery is on charge but doesnt seem to be taking any charge so it might be shagged aswell
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Could be just a bad battery. With the car running what voltage across the terminals?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:37 pm

12.5, and that is after charging the battery (but the indicator still says it needs more charging so I think its stuffed)
Half of the dash lights dont light up before I start the car, only the handbrake light and glow plug light come up (and 4wd if its in)
I put the battery back in and it started fine, held it at 1500rpm and its still at 12.5V

I dont think it is the charge relay if I trust this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 383610.htm as all the dash lights DO go out once the truck starts.

Battery has been perfect up until today and woudlnt expect a sudden death from it but maybe?
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Batterys do give up suddenly now days especially when the cold arrives so suddenly We will see you soon to testy that relay
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Previous

Return to Special Mods