• Advertisement

Brighter headlights - HID conversion

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Brighter headlights - HID conversion

Postby MooMooMoo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Has anyone else have a problem with dull yellow headlights on their MU?

i have very poor visability at night... ive seen a few repairs to the old holgens but replacing bulbs then rubbing back the headlight cover with 1200grt sand paper then using a polish to polish it up..

but i was wondering if i should just install a HID conversion kit .. ?

They seem to be pretty cheap off Ebay ... anyone else done this? what did you think of it afterwards??
MooMooMoo
Isuzu Senior

City: Sydney
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 2.8td 1992

Re: Brighter headlights - HID conversion

Postby geeves » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:15 pm

not sure about Aus but retrofitting hid bulbs in lamps made for normal bulbs is illegal in NZ.The reflector is the wrong shape for hid.
Do you have sealled or semi sealed lamps? If semi sealed fit hella plus 50 bulbs
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:14 pm

As geeves said change the bulbs if semi sealed, or if not change lamps to semi sealed and fit brighter bulbs i have 120/160 in my truck
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:36 pm

I thought those high wattage bulbs were also not kosher. I have std 50/65 in hella plus 50 in the bighorn and the light is fine When you come up behind someone they move out of the way. Not cheap bulbs though. There is suposed to be a tradeoff between the brightness of the plus 50 etc bulbs and life but these have been in there 8 or 9 years they have been driven home with the water level in the lamp only 1cm below the bulb and other unmentionable abuse.
The light still has the yellow tinge of incandescence but I did try some extra cool blueish bulbs and replaced them within a week. It might just of been me but I found esspecialy in wet weather that although the markers showed up fir miles I couldnt see the road surface and because of this I couldnt trust that I could see objects on the road. I probably could see all I needed to it just didnt look like I could.
Narva also make a pluss100 bulb
If you want legal hid the cheapest way is hid driving lights
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:48 pm

definatley not legal, but work well, i need to change my head lights as they are full of sand and the relectors inside are damaged, i dont know the rules in oz though, plus 50 are a good bulb, or a good set of spot lights
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby turnturn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Get rid of the headlight covers (never seen them fitted to a Mu before)....
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby stardog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:25 am

I have HID headlights and spotlights on my mu they are great. the trick is get the right headlights with the proper reflectors and alighment dont use the wrong lenes the lights blind every one coming towards you.
I have had mine for over 2 years and has passed pink slip road worthy no worries and i dont get flashed from other drivers coming towards me.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby MooMooMoo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks for all the help guys.. I guess ill look for the replacement bulbs instead of going hid
MooMooMoo
Isuzu Senior

Postby MooMooMoo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:51 am

stardog wrote:I have HID headlights and spotlights on my mu they are great. the trick is get the right headlights with the proper reflectors and alighment dont use the wrong lenes the lights blind every one coming towards you.
I have had mine for over 2 years and has passed pink slip road worthy no worries and i dont get flashed from other drivers coming towards me.

Where did you get your HID headlighs for your MU?
MooMooMoo
Isuzu Senior

Return to Special Mods