• Advertisement

Onboard air install

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Onboard air install

Postby mattmannz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:36 pm

After reading a ton of threads on the net about this I decided to give it a go.

My AC had crapped out ages ago so as a test I modified the discharge hose and fitted a 3/8 high temp hose on it and a standard quick disconnect. This allowed me to test the compressor capability using an open tire inflator and it worked really well so I decided to build a full setup.

Routed the high temp hose over to the firewall where I connected it to a four port manifold. Manifold has a safety valve, pressure switch, gauge, and a spare spot plus the inlet and outlet.

I setup the outlet with a quick disconnect that has a hose that feeds the underfloor tank. I used a quick disconnect here so that if there is any issue with the tank or hoses underneath I can just disconnect it and then run directly off the manifold.

I had to make brackets for the tank to fit tight up under the floor. The drain valve looked very vulnerable so I welded some pipe around it and then some flat on either side to make a nice transition. This piece sticks down about 20mm below the chassis rail.

I used a bulk head fitting and setup a quick disconnect at the rear on the towbar. Made a dust plug so nothing can get into the fitting.

Pressure switch turns on at 80psi and off at 100psi. Runs the rattle gun and tire inflator very well. Inflating one of the 33's from 18psi to 36psi takes just over a minute if I use the hand throttle and set it to 1750rpm.

The manifold has a check valve on the right hand side which is the discharge output from the compressor.

I got the manifold setup from www.on board air.com.au and got the hoses and fittings and tank here in nz. Had a family member in aus pick it up so there was no freight.

I also epoxied a 1/2 tube into the airbox which feeds the compressor suction side via some 1/2in heater hose.

For the two hoses off the compressor, I cut them after the soft hose section as they became hardlines. Left about 35mm of line. The additional hose is them clamped. They are both very tight fitting so no issues with leaks or coming off.

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Re: Onboard air install

Postby muzila » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Nice job. Well done
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Re: Onboard air install

Postby mattmannz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Bit of bling for the win.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Return to Special Mods