• Advertisement

Better use for the aircon compressor..?!?!

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Better use for the aircon compressor..?!?!

Postby InVinceble » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:28 pm

My electric compressor went through one too many peat bogs and gave up. So I've converted the aircon compressor.
Here's my set-up:
I'm using the "inline oiler" method for lubrication.
Air intake is tee'd into the engine intake and runs in 10mm airline.
As the engine bay is prone to getting a good dunking, I thought this way would prevent water getting into the air system.
Due to the larger air intake I have for my turbo there ain't alot of room behind the compressor.
From the compressor I've got 1/2" 200psi hose to an old oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator.
Then it's more hose round to the manifold on the bulkhead.
Manifold set-up includes (from the inlet hose on the right)...
non-return valve
oil seperator
(front) ARB pressure switch - On @ 70, Off @ 100psi
(under) ARB solenoid valve - thin blue hose goes to rear air locker
(front) pressure relief valve - set at 125psi
(under) airline to rear outlet built into custom bumper
(front) outlet - quick release bayonet
(under) blanked - for later front air locker solenoid, will move catch can then!
pressure guage - blue airline goes to in-cab gauge.

In the cab, I reckon Mr Isuzu designed this spot with the ARB switches in mind ;)

Ok, now here's a test for you. The above set-up "sort of" works. Anyone spot the mistake??? :oops:

I have made an "adjustment" and got my aircon compressor to inflate a Mongrel 285/75R16 from 15 to 30 psi in less than 40 seconds. :D

Oh, and currently making plans for something around Serpentine Church - Potters - Old Woman Hut for the Labour weekend if anyones is interested. ;)
InVinceble
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: Stripped out '94 Honda Horizon 3.1td ....it was modded, just a bit.

Re: Better use for the aircon compressor..?!?!

Postby MrBIGHORN » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:41 pm

Good job looks great
User Name Now Blondini

Mate gave me 20L diesel
Turned out to be 20L kerosine
Dam it went fast (For a while)
MrBIGHORN
Isuzu Junior

City: TAURANGA
Vehicle: 93 IZUSU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL

Postby wbski007 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:50 am

looks great,good job,would do it on my Rodeo, but here in Florida I need the A/C more
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby Demonic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:10 am

on the back of the AC compressor there is a B and a T, which is inlet and which is outlet?
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby InVinceble » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:14 am

Don't remember seeing any indentification on the back of my compressor.
What I can tell you is that the larger fitting is the inlet and the smaller fitting is the outlet.
In my 2nd photo, I took the shot leaning over the fuse/relay box and you're looking at the oulet fitting.
InVinceble
Isuzu Baby

Postby Yarno » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:52 pm

Looks good, so your problem is?... Hmm, does it cycle often?? You might need a little receiver.
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby muzila » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:04 pm

May I ask why you are going into an oil cooler in the front?

A tank would be nice. I have 1 for my set up.
I duing mine a bit different but I like yours. Got some good ideas...

What is the mistake you mentiond???
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby Yarno » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:10 pm

muzila wrote:May I ask why you are going into an oil cooler in the front?

I would guess it is because when you compress air it gets hot, so a cooler will stop the plastic lines melting??
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby InVinceble » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:48 pm

The oil cooler is to dissipate some of the heat that comes from "prolonged running" ....15psi into 33's in 40 seconds isn't what I would term as "prolonged" so maybe I don't need it, but ...hey, if you've got one, then why make use of it. (I read it was a useful addition in another website).
It used to take my old electric "hours" to put my old 31's back to road pressure. :roll: ..and that did manage to melt the plastic push-fit fitting I had going into the manifold (solved with 500mm of copper coil fitted immediately from the outlet of the pump).
This set-up isn't even getting warm ...yet.

Regarding cycling and maybe fitting a receiver: I have to be honest and admit to a small length of box section in the line to the rear outlet. It's enough to allow 3 x on/off of the air locker without cycling. I'm happy with that, for the meantime.
When re-inflating tyres, the gauge reads 80psi with the compressor on constantly. As it's only for a short time, again, I'm happy with that.

I can't give the answer to the "problem" just yet (the "big guns" haven't replied yet), but here's a hint: 1st photo, think about that connection point. :?
InVinceble
Isuzu Baby

Postby wbski007 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:54 pm

air intake works in reverse and sucks your oil out of jar??
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby muzila » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Yarno wrote:
muzila wrote:May I ask why you are going into an oil cooler in the front?

I would guess it is because when you compress air it gets hot, so a cooler will stop the plastic lines melting??

Yup I can understand that. Never thought of it to be honest.

I wonder how I will get on with the tank then. The air should be cool enough once its in the tank to not warrent a cooler me thinks.

As long as I use good hosing from compressor to the tank?????

I like that inline oiler idea as well as the drain one at the other end. do you get much oil in the catch bowl??
muzila
Site Admin

Postby muzila » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:37 pm

Me thinks your problem could be that you have no filter in your air line to the compressor.

Have you tapped in after your air cleaner??
muzila
Site Admin

Postby muzila » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:48 pm

InVinceble wrote:When re-inflating tyres, the gauge reads 80psi with the compressor on constantly. As it's only for a short time, again, I'm happy with that.

I am full of questions today. What revs do you set your motor to run to get 80 psi???
muzila
Site Admin

Postby jezza » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 pm

muzila wrote:Me thinks your problem could be that you have no filter in your air line to the compressor.

Have you tapped in after your air cleaner??

It looks like it's plumbed into the filtered side.
I would be a little worried about those fittings chaffing on the radiator top hose. It doesn't take long for things to rub through with a bit of vibration, I've seen airlines that have chaffed through crossmembers a few times
jezza
Isuzu Junior

City: Chch
Vehicle: 94 Mu

Postby Bargie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:30 pm

the airline from the oiler runs over the top of your intercooler .
also the outlet is directly opposite your engine breather line into air intake getting hot and oiled air from there.
live fast die laughing
90 MU with some mods
Bargie
Isuzu Baby

City: Highfields
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu MU 2.8 td wagon

Postby wbski007 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:38 pm

Plastic is easy to work with and looks neater,but if your having trouble with it, I'd go to good rubber or copper air lines
I see you've put alot of thought and time into this compressor, when you get the few bugs worked out its going to be great
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Postby InVinceble » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:42 am

...And the answer is:

The running engine takes just about all the air from the intake hose, the compressor can't compete against the turbo :roll:

When I switched on the compressor only managed to produce 30psi (with no load). :(
I disconnected the hose from the inline oiler and "hey presto" straight up to 100psi and off. :D

So now I'm in the process of moving the inline oiler, trying to find space high up on the bulkhead so it's draws air from inside the cabin.
Theory being, that if there is water in the cabin then I'm already out and won't be needing the services of the compressor ;)

..to answer the other questions:
Using plastic before the compressor is no problem (I'd say that none of the hot engine breather air even gets in it, due to the turbo sucking harder)
The plastic after the manifold has been there for years, never an issue. (Previous electric "twin pot" compressor had a copper pipe "cooler" fitted immediately to it's outlet, which did get very hot, most likely made worse by the small diameter of that outlet).
Any oil getting into your compressor is a good thing, so the engine beather option for input was thought about.
Decided not to go that way for the reason of the "already hot" air.
The air intake hose has been touching the radiator hose for years too, no sign of wear yet but i'll keep my eye on it thanks. 8-)
I haven't had the engine doing anymore than tick-over yet. I'll experiment with higher revs when i get the oiler relocated, hopefully this weekend.
InVinceble
Isuzu Baby

Postby muzila » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:36 am

Thats still a nice job and bloody handy to have! Like all projects they need tweeking in the begining ae.

When I get my tank back from the sandblasters and start my conversion I will take photos as well and put them up.
muzila
Site Admin

Postby geeves » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:35 am

plumb the intake into the air cleaner. That way you get snorkled air. If you can manage it taking it from the outlet of the air cleaner means its already filtered
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby InVinceble » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:26 am

After an unsuccessful afternoon on Sunday looking at mounting my air intake through the bulkhead (lack of space and difficulty in achieving), I had a look at plumbing the intake into the air cleaner last night. Unfortunately I don't believe there is any place to do it that will give me a different result to that which I already have. My current location is obviously after the air cleaner (so nicely filtered) so what difference would I see if the intake is moved 300mm closer to the air cleaner? It will still be the same dual between the turbo and the compressor. I reckon that fitting the intake to the outside of the air cleaner (before the filter) may see an improvement, but I'm not convinced it will be enough. Obviously the air wouldn't be filtered, but at least I wouldn't have to worry about water ingress. Still thinking about it. Hmmmm.
InVinceble
Isuzu Baby

Next

Return to Special Mods