• Advertisement

Better use for the aircon compressor..?!?!

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Re: Better use for the aircon compressor..?!?!

Postby Yarno » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:57 am

Maybe plumb it in after the turbo, like where the ERG's use to go.
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby BUSHPIG » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:07 am

by a rocker cover breather filter for the inlet then put your inlet where ever you want and it will be filtered
BUSHPIG
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1988 GQ Safari
TD42 Turbo Running 17psi
Custom BRD Top Mount Intercooler
Custom BRD 3" Exhaust
Factory GU Turbo Airbox
Safari Snorkle
2000 Gu Td42-T Injector Pump
Turbo Injectors
Pto Winch
Custom BRD On-Board Air Bracket With Modified Second A/c Pump
Custom Front Bar Work
Ally Roof Cage
2 1/2" Suspension Lift
Front LSD
Rear LSD
33x12.5xr15 Maxxis Tyres
Diff And Gearbox Breathers
Am Cb
Uhf Cb
GPS Tracker.

Planed Mods::
Exo Cage
Rear Barwork
Rear 14,000lb Winch

Postby wbski007 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:24 am

why do you have to use the engine air filter?, why not just mount a small air filter up hi in the cab. I thought the compressor was only going to be used while your standing still, you wouldn't be useing it while you were going thu water anyway, rite??, or am I missing somthing :shock:
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby InVinceble » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:41 am

Yeah, have already got the rocker box breather filter on the list. Was planning to put it on the inside of the bulkhead mount - then I get what i want ...dry & filtered.
90% of the time the compressor will be used out of water (inflating tyres mostly), but it also charges the system for my air locker. I want piece of mind that i can switch it on in any circumstance ...and that it's ok for it to cycle while I'm half way through some bog or whatever. Call me lazy but i like the convenience of "switch on and forget". With my old electric compressor mounted in the back corner of the engine bay I was always cautious of possible water ingress. Had myself a "check this, check that" routine before entering bogs ....just something I can get away from by applying a little bit more consideration to the installation.
InVinceble
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: Stripped out '94 Honda Horizon 3.1td ....it was modded, just a bit.

Postby mulover » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:05 am

Inside bulkhead?? do you mean inside the cabin??,
I wouldn't be too keen on that as alot of fumes come out of it.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby muzila » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:28 pm

I am planing on putting my intake and filter setup in the head of my snorkel.

Then if I get water in that it aint going to matter koz I would say the truck would be f8(6%4#k by then. or floating away.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby InVinceble » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Mulover - yes, i was thinking somewhere behind the glove box. And am I missing something, why would a lot of fumes come out of the compressor?
Muzila - yeah, it did cross my mind to run the hose through the wall of the filter housing and up along to the top of the snorkel. And I might go back to that because mounting through the bulkhead isn't as easy I as thought it would be. There's hardly any "free wall" and where there is it's a mission to get your hand to it. Already scraped the skin of my knuckles!
InVinceble
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: Stripped out '94 Honda Horizon 3.1td ....it was modded, just a bit.

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:02 pm

confusion reigns. The rocker box filter describes the filter on the end of the compressor intake as this is what these little filters were designed for. It is not actualy used on the rocker box or tappet cover in this aplication
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 pm

run a big enough reserve tank that you can run it once and then shut it off and forget about it,you should have enough in reserve to do your lockers,and I can't see where you would get any fumes out of a compressor :o and come to think about it you could run the compressor air intake to your valve cover, it might help the compressor out a little sucking in oily air, wow kill to birds with one stone :lol: yes ? no ? maybe?
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby mulover » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:37 am

Ahh, my bad!!
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby Yarno » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:24 am

if you run it from the intake side while boosting it would make it go really well... it would also have the oil from the rocker cover as this goes back through the turbo.
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby muzila » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 am

InVinceble wrote: Muzila - yeah, it did cross my mind to run the hose through the wall of the filter housing and up along to the top of the snorkel. And I might go back to that because mounting through the bulkhead isn't as easy I as thought it would be. There's hardly any "free wall" and where there is it's a mission to get your hand to it. Already scraped the skin of my knuckles!

The easyest place to get through would be the old holes for the aircon unit under the dash. Heap of room in there. I pulled mine out and got rid of the lot. just has the shell so the fan and heater still works. Then made a small plate to cover up the holes in the firewall and sealed it.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Previous

Return to Special Mods