• Advertisement

Mu Seats / Steering wheel replacement

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Mu Seats / Steering wheel replacement

Postby lewis » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:17 pm

I would like to get a new drivers seat for my mu, as it is really uncomfortable with no side support and a spring that pokes me in the bum. Do any other isuzu models fit without mods? Alternatively other manufacturers that have been done before? I assume the rails need to be changed over to the new seat so more of a case of what seats will they fit?

Also the steering wheel outer is ripped and I am thinking about replacing that too. Will any Isuzu one fit?

Cheers
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Re: Mu Seats / Steering wheel replacement

Postby geeves » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:21 pm

As far as I know the steering wheel is the same. As for the seats looking at the wizard the mounts for the rails look easy to change with a lot of cars. Corolla should fit wit a minimum of fuss.
There was a couple of bighorns at picapart for the wheel. Pity its raining tomorrow
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Any bighorn wheel will fit? or just a UBS55? Will a 69 Mu wheel fit?

So you reckon pretty much any seat can bolt to the rails and therefore fit?
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:01 am

Dont know for sure on either but you can try my wizard and bighorn wheel if you come round. Ring first as we have to go out at some point today
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:37 am

Just had a quick look. Both the bighorn and wizard use a 19mm socket to undo the steering wheel nut. Add to that the wheel in the bighorn is a ubs69 lotus wheel I forgot I had fitted.
On the seats the rails on the floor are attached to the seats by 4 bolts with nothing in the way. I cant see any reason that any seat with a similar mount cant be fitted with a steel bar suitably drilled to match the holes in the seat and the holes in the rails. 6mmx20mm bar should be strong enough
Robs the wof guy here though so he might have a reason not to do this.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby muzila » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:43 pm

For some strange reason different seats need to be certed. Just another cert PITA if you ask me.

As long as new seats bolt into the same holes I see no reason to have to cert them. If you making new mount points then yea certing is a good idea.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:26 pm

I thought that only applied if the seat belt mounting was part of the seat?
When you consider what can be got away with on standard seats. I had an old Vauhxhal Victor that had the front of the seat bolted down with a piece of dexion as the front mounts had rusted away. 3 wofs like that before I sold that car
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:03 pm

if you use a ubs55 boss kit you can fit any aftermarket steering wheel, and modifing to seats needs to be certed, i have seen some shocking seat modifications, holes drilled, slotted holes, bird pooh welds, for my cert had to remove mine he sent photos away of them then got an engineer to write a report, was the only hard bit of my cert, rodeo seats bolt straight in
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby haven » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 pm

mu seat rails cannot be removed, they are part of the seatbase. i have changed my seats and if you wish to reuse the rails it involves a lot of cutting and rewelding and most aftermarket seats sit too high afterwards anyway because of the uneven floor. i had to cut the floor up completely and weld in new seat mounts for my wrx seats. probably wouldnt be such an issue for a short person sitting so high by i hit my head on the roof :(
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Return to Special Mods