• Advertisement

over heating while rock crawling

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

over heating while rock crawling

Postby wbski007 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:36 am

OK fella's,I'm going to through this out there,do you think it will help or not :?: A friend of mine has a GEO tracker with a 350 Chevy in it,what an animal by the way, that he uses for rock crawling,he was having a bit of overheating problem on long slow runs, to help get the hot air out from under the hood (bonnet) he put a 4 " spacer between the hood and hinges this raised just the back of it so the heat could escape faster,he says it hasen't over heated since, I thought maybe it might help some of you that might have the same problem :?:
cheers,Wayne
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Re: over heating while rock crawling

Postby Demonic » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:41 am

He could have just added spray jets to spray the engine with water etc, or an extra fan.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby wbski007 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:25 am

no spray jets, but he did put a bigger elec fan and raised the hood and now the temp still gets up there a bit but not like before, no more overheating, do you think raising the hood helped any??
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby Demonic » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:09 am

maybe, probly would ahve been just as easy to put a scoop on the hood.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby geeves » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:31 am

Is the geo tracker the Suzuki Samari??
That would be a monster that you wouldnt want to meet on a dark night.
First thought is where did he find enough room for a big enough radiator?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:41 am

hood scoops are OK going down the road with lots of air coming in, but slow moving, like when rock crawling they aren't much good,by raising back of hood lets hot air escape and gives better air flo,ergo better cooling, I would think, but then again when I think I usually get myself in trouble.HAHA
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:49 pm

just googled this wagon.Its a Vitara down this way and started life with a 1600 engine.
That would still frighten a few boy racers with the 350.
Would love to see pics as down this way a few have got 3.8 holden v6 engines but most have ended up losing the front diff to make room.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:43 pm

This thing is absalutley crazy geeves, I know he went with a custom made alumium cross flow rad, other than that I don't know what else he did to make it work, but I can tell you, this thing is silly :o , gets the looks where ever he goes :shock: , plus he drives it on the street. I'm originaly from Pennsylvania, and thats where he lives, so I can't get any photos rite now, I'm going up there for the holidays and I'll see him and get some pictures, its wild.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:25 am

Only other option to the lifted bonnet would be a few mesh vents or no bonnet. There cant be a lot of room around the engine
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Instead of a raised bonnet, you can put a scope on backwards, seen this done on a few trucks, it deffinately helps keep the engine cooler.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Return to Special Mods