• Advertisement

leaf spring hangers

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

leaf spring hangers

Postby andrewward » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 am

Hi, has anyone done an extended 2 or 1 inch lift hanger on an Isuzu MU 1991, I have 2 inch extended shackles, I just thought this would be a good idea to raise my MU another inch without playing around with the leaf springs, any pros and cons ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andrewward
Isuzu Senior

City: Santa Venera
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 91, 2.8 TD

Re: leaf spring hangers

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:49 pm

What are your local vehicle modification rules. In NZ that mod would require an engineers certification before it would pass our version of a roadworthy inspection and I think it would need cross bracing to get a cert. It would be cheaper just to get raised springs
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby andrewward » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:40 pm

no rules here mate, got a friend here who is a very good fabricator, he's making them for me for nothing,also some neat front and rear bumpers and rocker slides for a decent price.
but can you please give me some advice on this mod as safety goes and length etc, thanks
andrewward
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:07 am

first there are people on here with far more engineering experience than me so if they say things different to me I would take them as more correct.
First the chassis is high tensile steel. It must be welded correctly or it will crack. I have seen a picture of this happening on a truck. The picture was never made public as it would of caused great embarrassment to a certain fuel company. The picture was of a fuel tanker turning across all lanes of traffic out of a gas station so the front was fully across the road the rear was still in the station and the centre of its chassis on the ground. It was the main road in Gisborne.Took 10 hours to clean up that mess. The engineering company that welded the chassis and the certifiing engineer that ok'd it will never do work for that fuel company again.
second a 50mm shackle and 50mm front mount gives a 2 inch lift without allowing for the sag on your springs. When I change the springs on the bighorn I fitted 50mm lift springs but got nearly 100mm Your 50mm lift might only be giving you stock hight. 100mm to match the shakles would put a lot of strain on the welds.
third If I went this way I would be gussetting the mount both with a plate in the centre and a brace going up both sides of the chassis
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:56 pm

putting a block under the front as per the picture will lift it alot with longer shackles aswell, i redrill navara front hanger bolt holes to make them lower and it makes them low, welding to the chassis is fine is only mild steel, as geeves said though srpings are easier and less stress
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby andrewward » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 am

yes leaves are easier but it will also harshen the ride, i don't want to mess up with the springs as I am very happy with ride as they are, just was wondering to make a lift without compromising ride quality :) I am thinking of doing a bolt on approach trusting my fabricator, will see how it goes
andrewward
Isuzu Senior

Postby topgun94 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:55 am

if you have no rules just got Spring over axle and dont change anything on the chasis.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Return to Special Mods