• Advertisement

Bighorn Windows Controls

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Bighorn Windows Controls

Postby ocarlier » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi all,

In the process of fixing up an old bighorn - next up on the to-do list is fixing the power windows. Before I do anything to crazy, looking for opinions...

What's not working:
- Every button on the driver side master power window control, with the exception of the driver side.
- Every other window control, I guess because the driver side window lock button's broken (although bridging the lock contacts in the control didn't work - think the IC inside it's toasted).

Possible Fixes:
- Gamble between $165 and $225 for a second-hand driver-side master switch.
- Do the impossible (without a wiring diagram) and fit a newer model's door panel and driver side switch to the drivers door - somehow (I have a new door panel and window switch).
- [Current Preference] Rewire each doors window control to bypass the master driver-side control; then cut out, epoxy over, sand and plasti-dip the broken buttons on the driver-side control.

Any one else have any other ideas, or care to tell me what you think?

Cheers
ocarlier
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 Turbo Diesel

Re: Bighorn Windows Controls

Postby mattmannz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Dismantle the drivers switch and check each switch. Usually its dirty contacts. The switches can be cleaned.

When its apart check the rocker posts as they break.

Matt
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Postby ocarlier » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks Matt!

Should have mentioned one switch is missing and the others most definately do have broken rockers.

The Isuzu Parts place near Highbrook Drive here in Auckland is selling 3D printed replacements for $60 each (really neat seeing 3D printing being put into good use), but given the unknown state of the window lock switch and high price it feels like a gamble.

It would be nice to just have the original assembly working ;)
ocarlier
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 Turbo Diesel

Postby geeves » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:37 pm

keep an eye on picapart and trademe. These come up regularly in wrecks but are sought after so you need to be quick
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby HarryVL » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:29 pm

I have a few bits and pieces.Harry.
HarryVL
Isuzu Baby

City: TIRAU
Vehicle: 1995 Bighorn road truck.1989 Bighorn bush truck

Postby bongli » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:14 am

Hello, I also had the same problem the first time I've got my Bighorn. Its very hard to find bighorn window or Isuzu replacement switches. For the master switch, I used Kia Starex master switch, and for all the other 3 windows I used Pajero switches. It's not an exact fit, needs some modification (some cutting and filing) on the switch holder, but works fine.
bongli
Isuzu Baby

City: valenzuela
Vehicle: '92 Isuzu Big Horn 3.1T intercooler AT

Return to Special Mods