• Advertisement

TF Rodeo Fuel Tank

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

TF Rodeo Fuel Tank

Postby NPILE4JB1 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Hey Guys i have a twin-cab TF rodeo 95 and it has a painfully small fuel tank. I have read that the twin-cabs had like a 45-50 litre tank whereas the single and extra cabs had a 75 litre tank. Just wondering if anyone had found a tank that goes in reasonably easily to increase volume?
NPILE4JB1
Isuzu Baby

City: Normanville
Vehicle: TF Rodeo 4JB1T

Re: TF Rodeo Fuel Tank

Postby gman8623 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:52 pm

My 98 dual cab has a "long ranger" fuel tank. I think its about 110-120lit. I usually get over 1000km range. though Ive never tested it fully as the fuel gauge sensor mustnt have been changed from the original tank. From a full tank the gauge doesnt move for about 350km, then takes about another 350km to reach the empty mark and can then do about another 300km with the fuel light on.
gman8623
Isuzu Baby

City: Albury
Vehicle: 1998 TF Rodeo dual cab

Postby 98Rodeo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:14 am

The standard Dual Cab tank is 62 or 63 Litres,
I am about to try to fit the single cab variant (70 something) in the other side where the muffler currently sits as a second tank,
Will update as to how well it fits in a few weeks
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

City: Perth
Vehicle: 98 Turbo Diesel Rodeo Dual Cab

Postby dani4jb1t » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:14 am

I own a '93 TF double cab, stock fuel tank to me is 53 Lts (63 lts tank came with newer TF models)....but now I'm using a MU 83 liters fuel tank as the main one, I just installed it underneath at the spare tire room, pretty easy job ...
dani4jb1t
Isuzu Junior

City: Antofagasta
Vehicle: '93 TFS55, Solid front axle, Dual fuel tank, On board air system, Teralow 3:1, 235/85/R16

Postby dani4jb1t » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:09 am

I just noticed my 53L fuel tank has pitting on top of it, leaking some fuel from at least two tiny holes.....took it to a welder shop with the idea of sticking a metal plate to cover them, but since the whole surface is rusted , the guy told me that the heat applied by the weldings eventually would open more tiny holes causing more fuel leaks spots than the current ones, which make sense.....So, I was googling and found out a guy who fixed his rusted Jaguar fuel tank, by adding an internal sealant coating. So, in a budget scale from less to more, my chances are now to find a well shaped second hand 53 liters fuel tank, try to get this sealing coat or build a custom fuel tank (70 liters or so)... Looking forward to hear some opinions here if anyone of you fixed an externally rusted fuel tank before.
dani4jb1t
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: '93 TFS55, Solid front axle, Dual fuel tank, On board air system, Teralow 3:1, 235/85/R16

Postby geeves » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:49 pm

That coating is a fuel resistant epoxy and is pretty good but still not cheap. Makes sense when tanks are simply not available but I would be looking for a good tank first.
As a temporary solution you can screw self tapping screws into the holes with silicon sealer around the head of the screw. Silicon isnt recomended near fuel but this same repair lasted 3 years in a Hillman Avenger tank before I sold it
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby dani4jb1t » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:34 am

I just found a JMC Boarding ute at a wrecker shop (TF chinese version). I need to remove the tank out of the truck by myself, but couldn´t do it yesterday since the wrecker guy didn´t let me do it becasue he was in a hurry and wanted to close the shop. So, I'll go back on Monday to take it off and put it into my truck. This tank also has a capacity of 53 liters, with the very important difference that comes with a drain plug, mine doesn't have it. All the other fuel tanks I looked for were heavily rusted on top, so I'll give it a try to the chinese one, if not will do the Geeves trick.
dani4jb1t
Isuzu Junior

Return to Special Mods