• Advertisement

Solar panel and CTEK D250S

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

Solar panel and CTEK D250S

Postby topgun94 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:42 am

Hey guys. I havent been on in a while but recently i finished my university degree. So while i wait for a job to roll around the modification on the MU roll on !
Latest gadget installed is a 80 W solar panel and a CTEK D250S dual battery system.
In the hot australian weather i was finding that my 47lt fridge kept in the back of my car was killing my second battery. So i upgraded from a hybrid CCA/Deepcycle marine battery to a dedicated deep cycle battery and ctek charging system. Its not only an Isolator but a DC to DC charger that pumps out about 20 amps.
The solar panel on a sunny day does about 17.5v (at approx 4 amps) And keep the second battery very happy. I am pretty happy with the voltage considering i have the panel mounted under the roof rack mesh. I didnt this so i could still load my roof racks up while traveling (Because face it, we need as much room as we can get with a MU).
I went coastal camping for a week and my battery didnt drop below 12.6 V the whole time! I am pretty impressed with the set up and hopefully a few more camping trips to come!

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Re: Solar panel and CTEK D250S

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Very good and cunning way to protect the panel.
I use a 3 way fridge on gas as you always have a gas bottle but the catch is you have to switch to 12v while driving and they are not that efficiant that way and really you dont want it running gas inside the vehicle so I often take a separate tent just for the fridge
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby muzila » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for that. I was wondering how the solar panels do against a fridge. I am getting a 50 ltr fridge after xmas so decided a rewire and a solar panel would be the go. I see they have dropped in price quite a lot since I last looked at them. It makes them economical now as apposed to what they where a year or so ago. :D :D
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:18 am

there is a new type of panel on the market now. Massivly cheaper but dont last quite as long. Somehow though I suspect these pannels will get damaged well before there lifetime
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby topgun94 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:44 am

Yeah the panel is a mono crystalline opposed to the old type of polycrystalline. Mono is more efficient and a higher quality panel. There is also that new type you were talking about geeves but not many reviews on it yet and hard to get in Australia.
I ended up going for a 80w solar panel and it cost $110. I would have loved a 120w but couldn't justify rebuilding the roof racks to fit it. They aren't expensive though. Maybe a future pipeline job.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:48 am

very good price
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Special Mods