• Advertisement

'97 4dr wizard Roof rack and other questions

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

'97 4dr wizard Roof rack and other questions

Postby Lunaflyer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Gidday Folks , just joined, great resource, thanks heaps.

Just got my first ever 4wd, 97 4dr wizard, 4jg2 electronic pump, no leaks yet. tidy as, slowly going through it getting ready for summer.

Body Style: Station Wagon (KD-UCS69GW)
VIN: 7A897170706107412

Engine No: 4JG2-433099
Chassis: UCS69GW-710741

My only previous off road experience is a xr250 and pe175T 30~40 years ago.

I plan to drive say 2-5000k per year with the family ~5 hours to a mountain and then slowly up it on good shingle tracks in the summer to 5000'. No bush bashing or river crossings, more a cuppa tea and biscuits, listening to talking heads and pink floyd once I get the rear speakers going.

What should I check ? been lying underneath cleaning and looking. Where do I find a 4jg2 electronic pump engine manual

Radiator is currently 35 mm thick and looks ok, is this enough for summer driving slowly when its 35 degrees C or do I add a trans cooler and electric fan ?

Is there a trans cooler to get and any special mounting requirements ?

Is there a good brand and layout radiator ?

Whats the good water pump to get ?

Does your viscous fan spin even when cold ?

Is there a best way to bleed the engine cooling system ?

Is there a best way to swap out the trans fluid ?

Is it possible to add an engine oil cooler easily? or is the benefit / risk not worth it?

I'm keen to make & fit a 4 beam roof rack to carry max 150kg , one beam from the nudge bar the other three from the roof rails mounting. What is under the two rectangle roof bungs above the rear doors? Are they a stronger mounting.

any ideas on what door locks fit to replace a broken drivers door handle and key lock assy ?

Any instructions other than the JPNZ guide on how my missus and I should use the 4wd properly ?

sometimes it disconnects the 4wd straight away on selecting 2wd and sometimes it takes two or three fwd and back motions of a couple of meters, is this normal ? Truck may have been sitting with previous owner.

How long does it take to do the cam belt?

what does the LSD on the rear diff mean when driving in slippery mud ?

Any precautions needed when using the LSD diff ?

I've seen written no chains on the front wheels, back only, why ?
what do the power and normal switches by the gear selector do ?

idle speed is around 1000rpm cold or warmed up, how do I adjust this to around 750 rpm and specified?

when cold the engine warm up switch actually reduces engine speed by around 100 rpm to about 900 rpm , is this normal, warm it makes no difference.

Can you recommend a bash plate for underneath to protect the front axle vacuum switches and back to the trans ?

Is your a/c weak as ?

Has anyone fitted an extra pull string and ring into the back door as I cant see how to emergency exit out the back door from inside without pushing the drivers button?

I have learnt the central locking controller [driven by drivers door lock switch] is actually built into the drivers window switch, despite it having no central locking switches on the front.

Have you driven yours with the back glass open on a hot day and not ended up gassing anyone ?

Again Thanks heaps

Kind regards
Donald, 4wd rookie
Christchurch NZ
Lunaflyer
Isuzu Baby

City: chch
Vehicle: 97 mu

Re: '97 4dr wizard Roof rack and other questions

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:39 pm

What should I check ? been lying underneath cleaning and looking. Where do I find a 4jg2 electronic pump engine manual

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4123 has all you need and more

Radiator is currently 35 mm thick and looks ok, is this enough for summer driving slowly when its 35 degrees C or do I add a trans cooler and electric fan ?

If the radiator and viscous fan are in good condition yes. Im not a fan of electric fans on 4wds after killing an alternator so the fan stopped at the bottom of a 400m walking speed climb

Is there a trans cooler to get and any special mounting requirements ?

Better to get a oem one from a wrecker from any car than most cheap aftermarket ones. You will need to make your own mounts. Ive always advocated putting it in parallel with the factory on inside the radiator as this helps heat the oil from cold but others say in series or delete the radiator one completely. There are good and bad reasons against all of these

Is there a good brand and layout radiator ?
Only if its faulty but FENIX are good
Whats the good water pump to get ?
Never heard of a bad new pump. However the genuine pump includes the pipe between the radiator hose and pump. This was corroded on my wizard and you cant buy it without the pump which of course was new and aftermarket
Does your viscous fan spin even when cold ?
Yes but it should be firm to turn and firmer once hot. They can be rebuilt
Is there a best way to bleed the engine cooling system ?
Generally not a problem but turn heater to full first
Is there a best way to swap out the trans fluid ?
If its bright red leave it
Is it possible to add an engine oil cooler easily? or is the benefit / risk not worth it?
Factory oil cooler built into the oil filter housing. It can be done but its fabricate everything
I'm keen to make & fit a 4 beam roof rack to carry max 150kg , one beam from the nudge bar the other three from the roof rails mounting. What is under the two rectangle roof bungs above the rear doors? Are they a stronger mounting.
Pass
any ideas on what door locks fit to replace a broken drivers door handle and key lock assy ?
Mu and wizard are the same. I bought my wizard with a jemmyed front lock and replaced it with Mu parts
Any instructions other than the JPNZ guide on how my missus and I should use the 4wd properly ?
See the manual link above. Otherwise a 4wd course
sometimes it disconnects the 4wd straight away on selecting 2wd and sometimes it takes two or three fwd and back motions of a couple of meters, is this normal ? Truck may have been sitting with previous owner.
Sounds normal
How long does it take to do the cam belt?
pass but they are not bad. Do water pump at same time
what does the LSD on the rear diff mean when driving in slippery mud ?
Limited slip diff means some drive to both rear wheels but its not infalable or anything like as effective as a locker
Any precautions needed when using the LSD diff ?
correct oil
I've seen written no chains on the front wheels, back only, why ?
The book says that but as long as they are road style chains they do fit. Skifield roads are fine with just rear chains
what do the power and normal switches by the gear selector do ?
Power increases the gear change speeds
idle speed is around 1000rpm cold or warmed up, how do I adjust this to around 750 rpm and specified?
That seems to be typical
when cold the engine warm up switch actually reduces engine speed by around 100 rpm to about 900 rpm , is this normal, warm it makes no difference.
Sounds right. The engine warm up wont make much difference in Auckland
Can you recommend a bash plate for underneath to protect the front axle vacuum switches and back to the trans ?
Custom made or find a 87 - 91 automatic bighorn and get the plate off that It will need minor adjustment
Is your a/c weak as ?
Get it serviced
Has anyone fitted an extra pull string and ring into the back door as I cant see how to emergency exit out the back door from inside without pushing the drivers button?
I looked at doing this when I had the wizard but never got round to it. Should be easy to cut into the drivers control.
I have learnt the central locking controller [driven by drivers door lock switch] is actually built into the drivers window switch, despite it having no central locking switches on the front.

Have you driven yours with the back glass open on a hot day and not ended up gassing anyone ?
Dont do it
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: '97 4dr wizard Roof rack and other questions

Postby Lunaflyer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Gidday Wellington

Thanks

"viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4123 has all you need and more"

I'm yet to find a 4jg2 electronic pump , and ive scanned through around 4 of the several thousand pagers
would you consider advising the manual that covers the electronic pump equipped 4jg2 [I havn't found it] as the labels say 740 idle rpm and id like to set it properly.

a/c allegedly just been serviced, its weak as.

I do like your idea of an auxiliary trans cooler in parallel located to warm up the trans to operating temp, you sound like a hydraulics engineer.
please share the pro and cons for an auxiliary cooler, last summer in my mate's 2014 hi lux diesel 4wd going up mt cheesman and the trans over temp light came on came on , would it help to lower the trans temp by getting into a lower gear or select low ratio and let it rev just a bit more ?
trans fluid isn't bright red. and the cam belt looks to be at 80,000k old.
is the water pump the same on all the 4jg2 engines ?
maybe this will make purchase cheaper if yes.

Last January i was passenger in full loaded mistral for about a week each day part of a 20 truck convoy up a 5000' mountain in low second for about 3/4 hour, it was around 30 -35 degrees C, I kept the mistral alive by discharging water onto the outside of the radiator top tank via a garden hose with a lot of small holes from the front seat, 3- 4 litres would get us up the mountain ok, with the temp gauge staying below 60 % , first day without it we were boiling in 20 minutes, I want to avoid that. Hence all the radiator engine and trans oil cooler questions.

boot & passenger door handles and locks respond very well to oiling. The back door and window is now a gorgeous thing to open and close and the room in it is a cavern, like screaming for some 6x9's and a wee sub and a fold down butane cooker.

If you are fitting an alarm to a '97 69 wizard:
blue / white up above the accel pedal as part of a blue taped 3 way connector [maybe includes 2 diodes] is the inside light wire to cover both front and rear pass door light switches [on this truck they are on separate circuits].
light green at the passengers foot well is the boot light wire.
Lunaflyer
Isuzu Baby

City: chch
Vehicle: 97 mu

Return to Special Mods