• Advertisement

airflow snorkel on ebay crap

Share and discuss mod ideas here that make your Isuzu safer, faster, more homely, more user friendly or just crazier! The best from here will be made into a full DIY write up for the FAQ and DIY mod section.

airflow snorkel on ebay crap

Postby stardog » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi guys just bought a airflow snorkel on ebay my advice dont buy one you will be sorry guaranteed it would fit yeah right template is out for starters pipe from snorkel that goe's through guard is pointing down not straight and the hose to air box is to short so here we go customising again to make things fit could have made one better myself out of some 3" pipe and a couple of 90 degree rubber bends i have learned a exspensive lesson here.Any body else had problems with these snorkels.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Re: airflow snorkel on ebay crap

Postby geeves » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:24 am

could you post the link so we know which one please
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:22 am

This is the item number on ebay 200439085443 looks good in pictures my only option is to run it between the body and guard and shorten the pipe from the snorkel and put a short 90% bend on it and get a 3" length of steel pipe to make it longer and come back into engine bay at the air box such is life.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby Witchdoctor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:49 am

Hi Stardog,

I have fitted a number of these snorkels to members MU's & yes the are not perfect but they are a long way from crap. Crap would explain the look of plumbing pipe & a few bends. You will from memory you need to run longer flex pipe inside the guard also cut the spigot short enough to fit the flexable pipe on.
Take your time & enjoy the airflow that the MU will have.

Cheers David
Witchdoctor
Isuzu Baby

City: Gold Coast
Vehicle: 04 XLT Ford Courier Extra cab

Postby muzila » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:13 pm

This is the snorkel that is fitted to my 91 MU. It was on it when I got my Mu and its not a very good install. I blame the prevous owner for the poor job. The snorkel its self is fine and works well. I have noticed that the one on ebay has a small tag to attach to the A-piller somehow. Mine has nothing.
But its not a problem as it never moves or bangs or anything.

I will be reinstalling it properly during the rebuild to clean up the hosing.

Also that Blu Mu you see it on is a really nice truck! It was featured in Australian 4WD Action No. 138 page 128. Very Very nice. I did notice the air scoop and snorkel has been added since that write up though.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby stardog » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:51 pm

Yes i agree muzzila very nice truck in the pictures the tag is just a bit of metal you screw into the pillar and bolt onto the snorkel i just went to bunnings got 90% pvc joint and a bit of pipe i am going to put the heat gun on the pipe at the bottom of the snorkel and bend it straight and run the hose inside the guard and back through to the air filter box. David i have cut the spigot shorter as well and as you say far from perfect but for the amount of money for it you would expect them to fit and bolt straight up i do like the looks on the outside just the hose to the connection inside the guard is so awkward to fit to i will see how my plan works out .
Cheers stardog
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby Witchdoctor » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Stardog,
I found it best to mark holl holes on truck then remove guard cut holes bolt everything up then re install guard. Hope this helps.

Cheers david
Witchdoctor
Isuzu Baby

City: Gold Coast
Vehicle: 04 XLT Ford Courier Extra cab

Postby daisy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Have to agree stardog what pain to fit and do nicely and im a panelbeater! but they fit and look good on the outside ,and maybe they are meant to be
fitted so the flexi pipe runs inside the guard and come though the inner guard at the front close to the air box? I had to cut and plastic weld mine to get it fitting nice though the inner guard straight out of the snorkel into the engine bay and i think i had to cut and weld bits on the inner guard rail where i put the hole though cant find any photos of the snorkel mod at the moment but heres one of the engine bay part of it
P1040120.JPG
P1040121.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daisy
Isuzu Senior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: '94 Isuzu Mu 3.1 auto

Postby stardog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:42 am

Now that is one good neat looking fit on your truck i see you have got rid of all those vacum lines and have a oil catch can very nice where is your oil catch plumbed into from the top outlet on rocker cover and then into where it ran back into the boost controler line.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby daisy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:13 pm

[
stardog wrote:Now that is one good neat looking fit on your truck i see you have got rid of all those vacum lines and have a oil catch can very nice where is your oil catch plumbed into from the top outlet on rocker cover and then into where it ran back into the boost controler line.

Thanks yes does look alot cleaner without vacuum lines. The pipe from the rocker cover goes into oil catch can and then i have a little filter on the outlet, i did this because i was still getting a little bit of oil in the return pipe, (im not talking much but i didnt want any) I think the catch can is a bad design as the in and out pipes are so close it needs a baffle in it or something as it is i still have to wash the filter every couple of months
P1040134.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daisy
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Arnt you worried about water getting in through that filter?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby daisy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:32 pm

geeves wrote:Arnt you worried about water getting in through that filter?

Na the filter isn't sucking its gets engine pressure blowing though it as long as the engine is running and if i stop in the water that deep im a boat :o
daisy
Isuzu Senior

Postby stardog » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 am

I finished installing the snorkel yesterday worked out ok after a bit of modding after cutting the snorkel plastic pipe shorter inside the guard. i got a 2/12" aluminium pipe and ran it in between the guard and the body and cut the flexi pipe and joined it from the snorkel to the aluminium pipe and the other from air box to the other end of aluminium pipe. not the neatest job but it works so any one getting these snorkels be prepared for some modding to make it fit or pay a panel beater to fit it might be the best option. Stardog
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby Jayarr69BluMU » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Hey witchdoctor how much for you to install one of these snorkels to my mu
Havent got one as heard they're hard to install but way keen live in bris will travel to you
how much??????? cheers mate
Jayarr69BluMU
Isuzu Junior

City: Bris
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 1992, 2.8 t/diesel. 5 Spd

Postby LittleBuddha » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Sorry, don't wnat to hijack the thread but I'm keen to know a number of things - I have asked a few Q's on the forum re: catch cans - I'm not fmailiar with how they work (yep I've read all the stuff re: excess pressure in the crank case) mine is fitted before I got the truck but sprays a bit of oil in the engine bay (is just vented to the engine bay with fuel hose) - is venting via a filter going to help me - I thought they should be vented to the sump? I also want to fit snorkel in similar style (will diy using 3 inch stainless pipe) I see you have moved the radiator overflow to make space (where to??) and also re: comments about loosing the vaccuum hoses - again where too!! The whole air intake system seems to be a series of boxes with some apparently designed to take condesation out of the air beofre the filter and I haven't figured the other one out yet - I see you remove them all (my first thought as appart from the amount of space they take up it seems silly to fit a snorkel with a whole bunch of little holes in the itake system to drain condensation anyway??). Really keen to see what everyone makes of this as I am in mod mode and not clear on the ins and outs of the MU intake system (and like tidy engine bays...ie catch can). Thanks
LittleBuddha
Isuzu Baby

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1992 MU, 3" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 2.8 diesel

Postby LittleBuddha » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:56 pm

Also any suggestions on what seems to be a rotation of the airbox containing the filter too (how is it fixed?), there is defintiely a drain point in that box and an up and down from what I can see.

Thanks again.
LittleBuddha
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 1992 MU, 3" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 2.8 diesel

Postby Yarno » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:03 am

That's a 3.1 air box, they are different..
Yarno
FAQ Team

Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby muzila » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:54 pm

The 3.1 engine bays on that side have a few things in differant places than the 2.8 I have noticed.

I have shifted most of the stuff in my 2.8 for a second battery and unbenowen to me I have actully put most of the bits in the 3.1 places. lol. Either I can't be that bad in my thinking or it was just dumb luck. I tend to think the latter he he he.

One thing I have done is take all the extra water catching stuff off my airbox. I figure if that much water is in there a little plastic bowl aint going to help much. and I would of drownd the MU by that stage.
muzila
Site Admin

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Those little boxes are silencers.Remove them and you might hear a slight extra noise. (I must be hard of hearing as I didnt)
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby muzila » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:10 pm

Oh Is that what they are??? Ha Ha I thought they where for catching and traping water.

Cant say I noticed any extra noise over the scanner, the 2 CB radios and the stereo. :)
muzila
Site Admin

Next

Return to Special Mods