• Advertisement

Found Stripped Thread in #4 Exhaust Rocker Arm

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Found Stripped Thread in #4 Exhaust Rocker Arm

Postby WestOz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a recent member of the family in the form of a 1995 Rodeo Space Cab, which so far (a month now) has all been very good. Done the usual (filters Fuel and Oil), Oil Change, Plugs, Replaced cracked vac hoses, cleaned the MAFS, Checked Timing. Replaced the front shockies...passenger side one was blown. All good so far. Then today I went to check the valve clearances. Found the #4 Exhaust Rocker arm adjuster thread stripped. Obviously not something to leave, but what is your advice on the best repair - get a second hand one from the wreckers...possible issues with wear, buy a new one from the dealer, try to repair the thread, - would heilcoils work in this situation?

Looking forward to your great advice.

Cheers and Happy Easter,

WestOz
WestOz
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: Rodeo Space Cab 2.6

Re: Found Stripped Thread in #4 Exhaust Rocker Arm

Postby geeves » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 pm

there is not a huge load on these so if the doner engine has been well maintained there should be virtually no wear. Try second hand first it will be quicker and cheaper. How stripped is it and is it the rocker or stud? Could you put a thin nut under the rocker as a lock nut?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby WestOz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks Geeves, I wondered about trying to fit a nut underneath the rocker arm so will look more closely at that option. It is actually the rocker arm that is stripped not the clearance adjustment stud. I will also see if I can find one from a wreckers as a back up option. Cheers
WestOz
Isuzu Baby

Postby WestOz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:46 pm

After a bit of hunting for an 8mm x 1.0 pitch threaded nut...wasn't easy to find. I managed to fit the original nut below the rocker and the new nut on top. Clearance all set and solid. In the meantime I have ordered a replacement rocker arm, which looks like I will only have to loosen the rocker shafts so they lift enough to slip #4 exhaust rocker off for replacement without disturbing any timing. Would you agree or have I missed something? Cheers
WestOz
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:56 am

sounds logical
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine