• Advertisement

cam seal replacment.(engine now has a new noise)

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

cam seal replacment.(engine now has a new noise)

Postby julesran » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:19 am

hi,
i own a 2.8 4jb1t diesel mu,
i recently replaced the cam seal and the oring that sits in on the back of the housing which involves removing the timing belt. was goin well put everything back together. started her up. sounded fine. although had a louder tapet sound then what it used to. i though it was just because it was cold. because when i used to start her up it used to be slightly louder tapet sound, then by the time i was down the street it goes quiet. now that same noise stays there and does not go away. and is little annoying because i know it never used to be there before. i ended up doing the tapets and re did all spacings to 16000 on the filla gauge. still the same noise is there. do you think the tensioner on the timing belt could be slightly tight to cause that loud tapet sound or put the cam or crank slightly out of time. i did do it to 12kg as said in the workshop manual. the timing belt has done 30000 kms since i rebuilt the motor. what do use think. i want to get it sorted asap.

thanks guys any help would be appreciated.
julesran
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD

Re: cam seal replacment.(engine now has a new noise)

Postby geeves » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:09 am

I would suggest that the belt is a tooth out. If its the pump then you wont do damage except on a long run where it might overheat The description sounds like this but you need to check urgently. If its the cam it could be valves just touching pistons.You know what this means
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine