• Advertisement

96 Isuzu Plaiser Sticking Transmission

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

96 Isuzu Plaiser Sticking Transmission

Postby Tonynanki » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:04 am

Please help. I've been told by my mechanic neighbour that my beloved Bighorn 3.1D needs a new auto transmission. The engine starts perfectly and the vehicle goes through the gears as it should for only a minute. then it stays stuck in top gear. If I've stopped on a hill she revs but no progress. I have to turn her off. Start her again and we are off for another 30 seconds of perfect transmission performance. There's plenty of ATF in her that looks clean. Suggestions greatly appreciated. I've been told to auction her online for $1 (NZ currency ) to someone that will remove transmission and recondition, or replace.
Tonynanki
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu Plaiser Auto 3.1 Diesel

Re: 96 Isuzu Plaiser Sticking Transmission

Postby geeves » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:13 pm

Does the gear selector display show the correct gear when it plays up? What year is your bighorn? Thinking through the easy things first Im thinking selector adjustment valve body problem or worse. Has the fluid been changed recently? I know you say its clean but what you describe is complicated. A bad torque converter could cause the second problem but not the first. When you say its clean get a bottle from the local parts dealer and compare the colour. A little darker is ok but not very dark reg or brown/black. Another possibility is low fluid
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Tonynanki » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:49 pm

Apologies for late reply and Thanks for yr input. Tomorrow I will take my wagon for a small drive and monitor the gear selector display. Will also do a gear oil change again tomorrow. and let you know. Thanks again
Tonynanki
Isuzu Baby

Postby Tonynanki » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:03 pm

Hi, Been a while but have been in Northland working on farms. Okay, Here's the latest on it. She starts up perfectly and drives as she should, changing gears, up and down for no more than a minute, then the ''Trans Check' warning light comes on. I put her in neutral, turn wagon off for just 5 seconds, start her up and we are good for another minute. repeat repeat. The light goes off and I get another 1 minute drive out of her before light reappears and she is stuck in a higher gear. She is perfect for my work on farms, though thirsty (under 7klm per litre). A friend suggested i get new hydraulic fluid filter put in. The oil is at a satifactory level but a bit not as clean as i thought. In fact a few gritty bits. Could this be the cause ? Waiting for filter and gasket from down south. Thoughts
Tonynanki
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:59 am

only one place gritty bits come from sorry. Clutch packs or torque converter. If its only a farm hack you have to think about cost to repair. Second hand trans or rebuild either diy or professional. The filter change might see a little longer out of it but really its delaying the inevitable
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine