• Advertisement

3.1 Style Oil Filter Leaking

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

3.1 Style Oil Filter Leaking

Postby dasnoboarder » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Hey,

I got my 2.8L oil cooler & filter setup changed to the 3.1L style when I got my exhaust done.

It ran fine for about a week, then it started leaking oil from around the filter base (or somewhere close to it).

I made sure all the bolts were tight, and the filter was too.

So I thought maybe as they had re-used the oil filter when they did the swap, the seal wasn't working properly.

I just changed the filter to a new Z402, started it up and it leaked out the base of the oil filter very quickly.

Managed to tighten it a bit more, and now at idle it isn't leaking.

I had to really give it a good twist to tighten it some more, and it doesn't seem like it should be so hard to tighten up.

I'm not using any tools, just hand-tightening.

Any ideas? :?: :?: :?:

Cheers,
Andy.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Re: 3.1 Style Oil Filter Leaking

Postby dasnoboarder » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Have tested with quick drive in 70km/h zone, seems to have stopped leaking.

Not very reassuring though...
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Postby stardog » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:35 pm

When you install a oil filter you must wipe a film of oil on the rubber seal ring with your finger helps seal it. Also when you have screwed the filter on by hand you have to nip it up with a oil filter wrench a little bit then it shouldn't leak.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby dasnoboarder » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:59 pm

I always do the pre-oiling on the new seal, but I thought that new oil filters only go on hand tight.

Will dig out my filter wrench and see if it can tighten a bit more, haven't had to use it in ages.

Cheers :)
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Postby wbski007 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:33 am

I think it will be OK, hand tighted and then give it a bit with the filter wrench, that's what I always do, some tend to leak a little if you only hand tighted them.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby geeves » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:07 am

pretty sure the instructions say finger tight then 1/3 turn. Avoid Ryco filters as they do unscew themselves on isuzus. Keep an eye on it as if it leaks badly it can empty the sump in seconds
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby dasnoboarder » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:54 pm

After tightening the filter as hard as I could by hand (couldn't find filter wrench), I cleaned up all the oil and went for a drive down the motorway.

It looks like the leak from the oil filter seal has stopped, but there was a leak elsewhere dripping down onto the filter.

The exhaust shop said they had an oil leak when they first installed the setup, and stopped it by tightening up the large 22mm bolt on top of the oil cooler. After being used for two weeks, I've managed to tighten it about another half turn.

I think that should stop the leaks from there! Will keep checking over the next few days.

Cheers,
Andy.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Return to Engine