• Advertisement

4JA1 overheated - rings?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JA1 overheated - rings?

Postby noelp » Tue May 11, 2010 7:07 pm

hello all,
I have just inherited a holden (izuzu) rodeo 1989 vintage utility with a 2.5L non turbo 4JA1 motor. They were only used here in Oz for about 3 years when replaced by the 4JB1 motor (also available turboed).

It is an ex-farm vehicle with a fair bit of work needing done to it, but a fair amount of 'blow-by' ie crankcase pressurisation. Starts and runs fine, just blows a fair amount of white smoke when revved.
I believe it has been overheated in the past - and I think the rings need doing on at least one cylinder. Does anyone have a feel as to how hard-wearing the cylinder liners are? It is probably not viable to shell out for a full rebuild kit including liners, as the ute is not worth too much, but can have a go at doing the rings only if liners are not prone to wear.
I know that it is only a guesstimate and I will have to check liners once apart, but any feel for these motors?

Cheers,

Noel
noelp
I'm only here for the information

City: perth
Vehicle: 4ja1 izuzu ute

Re: 4JA1 overheated - rings?

Postby geeves » Tue May 11, 2010 7:40 pm

These are chrome liners and if treated properly do not wear. However bad oil change practice, and high sulphur diesel combined with short trips can cause corrosion. Severe overheating can crack the liner.
Its not unusual to have a high amount of crankcase fumes in an isuzu diesel engine. If a compression test is ok then a catch can can sort oil consumption. Try injector cleaner (triple dose) before condemning the rest of the engine
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine