• Advertisement

Emmisions problems

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Emmisions problems

Postby costaricanzuu » Fri May 21, 2010 11:07 am

Hi guys I'm having some problems with my 2.5 turbo 4JA1-T, here in Costa Rica we have anual emmisions tests (the limit is 2.80m-1) 2 years ago my reading was 0.90 so it was pretty great, last year it made a huge change and climb to 9.90 it didnt pass, so I take it to a diesel shop they told me that my injectors were shot but they do something to it so I pass with 2.28 barely did it, but It has no pulling power It was scary slow and powerless so I open the injection pump and it was "fine".... yesterday I took the test again I close the pump before the test, and well it didnt pass againg 8.87.

I know that I have to change my Injectors but right now I can't afford it Its like 100 american dollars per injectors plus the diesel shop charge....,
But what really bothers me it's why the emmision went up that fast 9 point in one year, does the injectors die so fast??
It's anything else that can make my motor trow that high number? could the EGR be bad or something?

for the record
I got good fuel economy like 11km per liter
It doesnt burn a drop of oil
It starts great at cold morning at the first try

Thanks a lot for your help and your time for reading ! :D
I'm kind of frustaded right now speccialy because of the change on the emmisions numbers :cry:
costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

City: Heredia
Vehicle: Isuzu KB 2.5 turbo diesel

Re: Emmisions problems

Postby geeves » Fri May 21, 2010 12:06 pm

could be the EGR but Im sure the diesel shop would of checked this. Most diesel engine suppliers say new injectors every 100000km but more often if low fuel quality. What mileage have you done? Over here we have a process called carbon clean which is really a monster dose of injector cleaner in a controlled manner that can help a lot of engines but not all.
You could always adjust to pass then adjust back to drive home
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby costaricanzuu » Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 pm

mmm... I'm at 191000km, someone told me to try Biodiesel it's supposed to drop down the emmisions but Im not sure if that can help me.

What kind of injector cleaner could I use the cheap ones like STP or Gunk or theres something better?

Im not really happy with the shop that do the job, how can I checked the EGR system?

Thanks a lot Geeves! I love my Isuzu and really want to keep it running good!
costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri May 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Is that measurement Carbon monoxide , hydrocarbon or nitrous oxide?
Unless your nitrous is low its better not to play with the EGR although when it fails engines run terribly.
Since they are going to look for modified emissions gear I would undo the 2 egr valves and make a solid gasket to go over the holes in the inlet manifold then bolt the valves back on. Best to use a high temperature gasket paper or 0.5mm aluminium. This will disable the EGR and not be visable to the emissions police. It would be interesting to know the result.
Biodiesel might drop emissions but there are several things called biodiesel.
The injector cleaner I use is a Nulon product but I only have to pass a visable smoke test
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby costaricanzuu » Sat May 22, 2010 2:43 am

I was reading a little bit more today, the test it's called OPACITY, what they measure its percentage of light passing though the smoke, so they push it to 4500 rpm and a amachine reads this, my ute smokes a lot during the test...
sooo I'm stuck to changing the injectors?
could the timing of the injection pump put more smoke out?
costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

Postby Blondini » Sat May 22, 2010 7:06 am

I would be going of my nut if they take my motor up to 4500rpm that red lines at 4000 .
Any diesel would smoke at that revs. 3500 Max
Blondini
Isuzu Senior

City: Papamoa Tauranga
Vehicle: 93 ISUZU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL AND HANKOOK RT03 265/75/16 (32") MUD TYRES.

Postby geeves » Sat May 22, 2010 7:15 am

They are doing the test with a fully warmed up motor arnt they?
Running the engine on the rev limiter is going to give bad results every time. I would question the validity of that test on a diesel with your diesel mechanic, the mechanic doing the test and your transport agency
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Yarno » Sat May 22, 2010 7:47 am

Make sure the air filter is fresh, and maybe pull the boost compensator line off the pump to stop it pumping in extra fuel. Might work...
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby geeves » Sat May 22, 2010 9:32 am

free reving there wont be much boost but it might be just enough
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby costaricanzuu » Tue May 25, 2010 1:05 pm

thanks a lot!
I'm going to change my filters and add some cleaner and see what its going to happend because right now I cant afford the new injectors =(
costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

Postby pig75 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:01 pm

You could just wind the pump back in for the test
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby costaricanzuu » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:55 am

Well guys today I decide that it was time to pass my emmision test( actually I cant wait more for law!) so I put a bottle of injector cleaner in like 1/4 of tank, and add a bottle of 1 liter of soy oil (cooking oil), drive it hard for like 4 km in the highway and decide it was time to do the test I went to the station and.... I passs!!! wohoooo!! =)
my number change from 8.87 to 1.91 been 2.80 my limit so I'm done until next year!
Maybe it will sound weird but my car now feels a lot smoother and quieter I'm guessing that my injectors are a lot cleaner than yesterday!

Thanks a lot for your comments and help!!! you're awesome!
costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Why soy oil?
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:11 am

The soy oil is probably whats quieting your engine down, I've noticed all the diesels I've run the vegetable oil in run quieter, I think explosion in the cylinder is'nt as powerful as diesel, as I have also noticed a reduction in power when running veggy oil
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby costaricanzuu » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:45 am

geeves wrote:Why soy oil?

hahaha :lol: for nothing special it was in my house so I stole it! ;) after the test I add more diesel and it keep smother than before, last year when I took the car to the diesel shop the owner told me that he add some cooking oil from time to time in a way of mantenance because its like a cleaner/lubrication help, I'm not sure about it but at leat I pass the test Im planning on taking it to the shop in the next 6 monts to change injectors and adjust everything related to the injection system.
costaricanzuu
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine