• Advertisement

Junior Burger mistake. Fuel Filter Change. HELP!

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Junior Burger mistake. Fuel Filter Change. HELP!

Postby makiomoto » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:50 am

Hi there
I'm a pretty handy sort of chap and an aircraft technician by day. However....I have let air into the pump changing fuel filters.
I am embarrased to say I don't know how to bleed my Holden Rodeo 4JB1T injector pump. Where the hell is the screw?
I have changed filters twice before and all I did was screw it on, pump till I felt some resistance and drove away. Was I just really lucky?
This time it was more like: Pack the truck with all the stuff for our holiday, pump the pump for ages but never got all that much resistance, drove 50 meters, pushed 50 meters back, looked for screw, sun went down, gave up, took other (Very small) car.
Cheers guys!
James
makiomoto
Isuzu Baby

City: Blenheim
Vehicle: 1998 Holden Rodeo double cab 2WD (Isuzu TFR)

Re: Junior Burger mistake. Fuel Filter Change. HELP!

Postby bonkers » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:09 am

on mine there is a 10mm bolt on the primer pump...not sure if thats what your after..
Yeah tar thanks that'll be great..!
bonkers
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1992 ISUZU MU 2.8L TURBO DIESEL

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Taking the pipe of to the injector pump normaly gets round this but it is also possible that there is a bit of gunge stuck in the priming pump. Fairly easy to pull apart and if there is something there you know it wasnt your fault
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:12 pm

sometimes I do things a bit of over kill but on every diesel I've owned I always add a 4 to 7 lb electric fuel pump somewhere before the filter that comes on with the key, it certinly can't hurt and take the out line off and fill the filter untill its full , I got into that habit because some diesels didn't come with manuel pumps like Isuzu, VW, Audi and Peugout to name a few, even if you don't use a electric fuel pump and use the hand pump take the out line of the filter off anyway as if you don't sometimes it will get air bound and you can pump till the cows come home and get no where.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby makiomoto » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Cheers guys.
Pump was a bit gummed up. I just turned seperator upside down, took injector pump IN line off and pumped as usual. The reconnected and pumped till hard, engine started and didn't skip a beat from then on.
All is right with the world.
James
makiomoto
Isuzu Baby

City: Blenheim
Vehicle: 1998 Holden Rodeo double cab 2WD (Isuzu TFR)

Return to Engine