• Advertisement

4jb1 won't idle unless use throttle

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4jb1 won't idle unless use throttle

Postby jackmech2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:00 am

It's a TFS55 pickup with 4jb1T engine that unless allready warm or in summer weather will stall after starting instantly.
A bit of throttle to 1000rpm will keep it going untill warm (1-2min) then it will idle fine at 900rpm. The high pressure solenoid on the inj pump is clicking, if that a definate that it's working?
The glow plugs work, allthough the light stays on for about 15sec, and i have checked all plugs and they really do take this long to heat.
Is that too long, i have read that they should only be on for more like 5sec?
The engine smokes a little then hot and cold. It's kinda light grey but not as white as pure unburnt diesel (I think).
Sorry to be long but i thought the more info the better!
Thanks anyone....
Jack
jackmech2
Isuzu Baby

City: Devon
Vehicle: Holden Rodeo
Crew cab pickup (TFS55) with 2.8L diesel, 1999.

Re: 4jb1 won't idle unless use throttle

Postby geeves » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:49 am

Mines like that as well. You could up the idle speed a little or use the hand throttle when cold which is suggested in the book. With your engine being a late model they may of improved the cold start setup but on the bighorns up to 91 the glow plugs come on for up to 5 seconds if the water temp is above 5C and 30 sec if below.
Mine will normally idle after about 15 sec but not always. Smoke at idle is common on these engines New injectors and pump rebuild will fix but its a big cost just for a little smoke
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby jackmech2 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:44 am

I've thought about putting a solenoid attached to the throttle linkage on the pump, that will fast idle the engine while the pressure solenoid in on.
But so far trying to find a cheap/second hand solenoid is proving far more difficult than i imagined.
Is the pressure solenoid supposed to make the engine run faster? From what i can see it starts just the same whether its on or off.
Thanks for the info.
jackmech2
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:09 pm

If you had aircon you could do this with the fast idle solinoid for the air con. Just hook a second wire to it
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby MARKx4 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Mine does the same during winter. I just wind up the hand throttle and it is fine, i dont have a smoke problem though (it puffs a tiny bit at start and that is it)

Mark.
MARKx4
Isuzu Junior

City: sydney
Vehicle: 92 MU

Postby turnturn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Does the TFS55 have the hand throttle as mentioned by MARKx4?
I also use this hand throttle as my fast idle in the mornings on both my Mu's.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby jackmech2 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:48 am

It does have a hand throttle to the right of the steering colum to get the engine hot faster, but i don't want to have to use it everytime i start it in the morning and afternoon! (It also keeps popping out cus one of the lugs is broken)

Did have a thought while i was changing fuel filter today.... the fuel pump that you use to prime the system after a filter change doesn't work, and it actually pushes fuel back to the tank, could this be letting in some air while the vehicle is not running over night and causing the system to take time to get a good flow of fuel to the inj pump??
I use a small hand squeezy pump to prime, then re-attach to the the vehicle pump/water seperator, but i noticed that when using the squeezy pump so there is resistance felt, that after i leave it for 10sec or so i can squeeze it a couple more times again before resistance is felt, and i can hear the fuel going through the original pump. To me it seemes like air might be getting in and the fuel is draining back.
I will experiment without the water seperator attached and see if this is still the case.
(Might account for why the pressure solenoid seems to do nothing, because there is not enought fuel there straight away?)
Thanks for you help.
P.S Found out it's a Holden Rodeo using Wikepedia LOL
jackmech2
Isuzu Baby

Postby jackmech2 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:48 am

Just to let you know that the fuel pump/water seperator bypass seemed to do nothing, so it's back to the original layout now.
jackmech2
Isuzu Baby

Postby steveNZ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Have had 2 4jb1t engines in my bighorn so far boath have needed hand throttle to idle properly when cold and also smoke a bit when cold.
had wonderd if this was correct my self but beeing on second engine this time i figure it must be standard.
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Return to Engine