• Advertisement

keep killing turbos + alts

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

keep killing turbos + alts

Postby dschoolderman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi Ive got a 92 bighorn 3.1td and put a brand new turbo on after killing the factory one about 3 years ago. about 4 months ago that one died and as it was a 3.1 turbo and couldnt be replaced I put on a 2.8 turbo rhb5 if i remember correctly so i could rebuild it if i managed to kill that one. Turns out I probably did about 300kms or so on that one and have killed the bearings on that one too and its got tons of shaft play and smokey as. What I am wondering is why do I keep killing them when I run the motor fulll of oil and probably do about 2,000km oil changes (so regular cause i keep killing turbos and its hardly ever used on road). I am wondering if anyone else seems to have this kind of grief with them and weather it is possibly related to driving up quite steep hills etc? as in 45 degrees or more. If so whats the solution other than running about 10 litres oil in it?

Also does anybody know if i can modify standard alt to external reg? cant put up high where a/c is as im using that for onboard air :D

Would appreciate any advice cheers
dschoolderman
I'm only here for the information

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1992 bighorn

Re: keep killing turbos + alts

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:49 pm

noone else is having that much turbo trouble
thoughts are a blocked oil feed or return a cooling issue or not letting the turbo cool after thrashing it. Do you use a turbo timer. The book says normal running up to 80kph no wind down up to 100 1 minute and over this of hill work 3 minutes
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby wbski007 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:01 pm

if your killing both the altinater and turbo then the oil feed line is blocked as they both use the same source from the side of the block, loosen the oil line at the turbo or altinator which ever one is easiest and start her up and see if you are getting oil, I bet your not!!
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby dschoolderman » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:14 pm

yeah turbo is on timer and only ever gets turned off after about ten mins driving at 50kph. Thinking oil feed must be problem. Turbo guy reckoned contaminated oil so having it all flushed out and will do probably 2000km oil changes. Although in reality I'd be lucky if I'm doing 1500kms between turbos when I do a full oil and filter change. But good to know nobody else is having such problems so cant be the angles i drive on thats the prob.
dschoolderman
I'm only here for the information

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1992 bighorn

Postby wbski007 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:45 pm

if it was contaminated oil the whole motor would seize up not just the turbo and altenator, I'd check the oil feed line first, it could be cloged
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:35 am

I have heard of the oil return from the turbo clogging up. Quite often happens in a engine that had a flush put through it which loosens everything left from previous oil changes
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby jezza » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Did you pre-fill the turbo oil galleries with oil before running the engine?
jezza
Isuzu Junior

City: Chch
Vehicle: 94 Mu

Return to Engine