• Advertisement

Oil Leak when cold

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Oil Leak when cold

Postby steveNZ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Having just replaced the engine (4jb1t) in my bighorn i have had a small problem with a leak from the oil filter housing ware the housing attaches to the engine block only when the engine is cold clearing up within 5 to 10 minutes, after noticing the leak i payed a bit attention to the oil pressure at cold start up noticed it was climbing to 6 Kg/cm2 if not a little higher dropping to normal levels as as soon as engine warmed up a bit

First i thought it could be the relief valve situated at the bottom of housing changed it for another no change

Decided to remove filter housing for further inspection having downloaded the engine manual from club isuzu (thanks :D) I was able cross referance, To my surprise the safty valve situated beneath the oil cooler had been incorrectly assembled, The ball bearing had been placed beneath the spring instead of on top causing pressure problems in the housing and properly causing the relief valve not to function properly

This caused excessive oil pressure which was forcing oil past the housing oil ring when engine was cold, Replacing the valve correctly as compleatly rectified this problem oil preasure when cold now toping out at 3.8 Kg/cm2

Cant see this beeing a common problem but info might help others with a problem on a engine they dont know the full service history of

In hindsight i should have cheakd out the filter housing before i installd engine as removibng it was a little dificult due to lack of room

Thanks again to club isuzu for the engine manual as it saved my life in sorting this problem
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Re: Oil Leak when cold

Postby geeves » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Luckily that is unusual. It would have a few people scratching there heads.
I doubt anyone would of checked and engine thoroughly enough to find it
good spotting
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Must say it had me scratching my head for a bit, but having gone through the pain of installing motor my self made me more determined to get to bottom of it

Hope im not getting to fixated with this engine :geek:
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Postby wbski007 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:07 pm

good going Steve, nice detective work
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Return to Engine