• Advertisement

possable stuck piston ring

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

possable stuck piston ring

Postby steveNZ » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi all

since changing my engine have been trying to get to bottom of excessive venting from rocker cover its not oil fumes its defiantly compression gas. fumes do seem excessive to me. cant see it being a broken piston ring as engine runs perfectly with lots of power and no ticking noise which is normally associated with a broken ring.

the engine i fitted was stood up for nearly 2 years prior to fitting i dont recall it venting to much before, i have checked all the obvious causes

starting to wonder if i have a stuck piston ring, is there any type of treatment or penetrating product i could pour through the glow plug or injector hole that could possibly help release a stuck piston ring

i know the 4jb1t is has a rep for venting a bit of gas but this dose seem to much to me

any help and thoughts greatly appreciated

regards

Steve
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Re: possable stuck piston ring

Postby wbski007 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:39 pm

We used Marval mystery oil here in the states for stuck valves and piston rings, don't know if its avalable over there tho, Ive herd a quart of transmission fluid added to the oil will work too.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby steveNZ » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks Wayne have looked into this a bit further now think i probably could get some Marval mystery oil here if i wanted but have decided to go with the ATF (automatic transmission fluid) at the moment.
After some research online and also a good chat with a diesel mechanic today i have decided i am not going to add a quart to my oil i am simply going to soak piston rings with it.

I have removed my injectors today and have poured a 10ml of ATF down each bore and one quick turn of the key to ensure its distributed evenly around pistons will leave it now till tomorrow to soak in properly.
Will flush each bore with 10 to 20 ml of diesel in the morning and crank it over a few times with injectors out so as to expel any oil and diesel from the bores to prevent any chance of a hydraulic lock on reassembly.

Diesel mechanic seemed to think the venting was only a little excessive for a 4jb1t but also thought it was a good idea to go with the ATF as it will help remove any excessive carbon deposits from the piston rings hopefully helping with there efficiency and if a ring is stuck hopefully helping to free it

Thanks again Wayne for the info as it helped me in the right direction, will let you know tomorrow wither or not it has helped the situation.

regards

Steve
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Engine all back together lots of smoke on first start up haha doesn't seem to have made more than a fractional difference to venting if any time will tell
engine dose seem to be running a little cleaner especially idling from cold, having the injectors out gave me chance to remove the carbon deposits from the injectors

so not a complete waist of time as the cleaner she runs the better

will think of adding the quart of ATF to oil a few days before next oil change but might just live with it the way it is

regards

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:50 pm

Give it a good run It might improve. Surely your wife needs to do some shopping in Gore or Invercargil for something you cant afford
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:02 pm

lol need a good trailer with a ton of coal on it and good run through the catlins or similar should get it up to proper running temp see what happens then
took it up bluff hill 2 times today but not really long enough to get it working properly
am staying near invers this week back up to garston at weekend

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Yes
After a lot of driving today and playing with turbo boost got engine up to a good running temp seems to be a noticeable drop in engine fuming
its still fuming but the fierceness of the fume has backed off for sure, its looking like the ATF has helped things a bit.

Good bit of info Wayne :)

regards

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Return to Engine