• Advertisement

Valve clearance

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Valve clearance

Postby steveNZ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Decided today to check my valve clearances didn't think they would be to bad as not to much top end noise i thought as engines sounds pretty good
How wrong i was to my surprise some the gaps were nearly twice the size recommended in manual a quick adjustment and things back together..
What a difference so much quieter, more power and cleaner exhaust :D sounds like a different engine now, I rely didn't realize it could make so much difference, Think i am going to check them a bit more often from here on and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't had them checked for a while.
Learning every day

Steve
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Re: Valve clearance

Postby Blondini » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Put a pod filter on it and it will go even better
Blondini
Isuzu Senior

City: Papamoa Tauranga
Vehicle: 93 ISUZU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL AND HANKOOK RT03 265/75/16 (32") MUD TYRES.

Postby steveNZ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:53 pm

Found a second hand snorkel getting it next month not sure if you can use a pod filter on a factory made snorkel ?
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby 98Rodeo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:05 pm

a pod adaptor bolted inside the airbox with the right size pod fits, but if you are going to do that, better off getting a k&n replacement..... about 110 buks
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

City: Perth
Vehicle: 98 Turbo Diesel Rodeo Dual Cab

Postby steveNZ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Ill get the snorkel first still gotta take it off the other truck and fit it do like the sound of the k&n replacement will last a lot longer and much easier to keep clean, got 4km of dusty track from rd to my place so filter dose tend to block up pretty quick

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:50 pm

Its a bit of a trick putting a pod into the ubs55 bighorn airbox. I tried and failed so now run a finner filter of the standard size. Someone else succeeded by welding a collar onto the lid of the airbox.
To fit the snorkel you have to cut and weld a new intake into the airbox seal the old one and move the power steer resiviour and fuse box (this requires making new mounts but everything else reaches ok)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Hoping i can get the air box with snorkel as its already on a ubs55 one less thing to do, cant see to many problems moving the fuse box and steering resiviour, i think cutting the holes will be the hardest part
Hoping i can swap the snorkel for my spare rear diff and axial (not LSD) as if i get any diff problems ive been offered a LSD for $350 don't know if that's a good price or not

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:09 am

diff price ok as long as its not worn out.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrBIGHORN » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:09 pm

This is how i did my snorkel and pod filter
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=606
User Name Now Blondini

Mate gave me 20L diesel
Turned out to be 20L kerosine
Dam it went fast (For a while)
MrBIGHORN
Isuzu Junior

City: TAURANGA
Vehicle: 93 IZUSU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL

Postby steveNZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Being a bit of a DIY enthusiast have to say i do like the look of that snorkel your giving me ideas now :lol:

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby haven » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 pm

struggling to find a manual so what r the 2.8td clearances meant to be to i can do mine???
haven
Isuzu Guru

City: adelaide
Vehicle: 1992 mu

Postby steveNZ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:00 am

0.4 /0.016 mm/in at cold for boath inlet and exsaust
hope it helps
have a good look round forum you can find out how to get a manual

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Return to Engine