• Advertisement

4JB1T still won't start after tons of work

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4JB1T still won't start after tons of work

Postby dlippy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:47 am

I have a 1998 4JB1T in a skidsteer. It had become very difficult to start. I replaced all glow plugs (and confirmed they are being supplied current) and it still did not start. The compressions were just below minimum recommended so I removed the head and had a valve job done. Pistons and cylinders looked great. Engine still did not start after installing head so I sent the injectors to be reconditioned. The shop said that they were not terrible but I had them done anyway. Engine still did not start after installing the injectors. I then removed the injectoion pump and sent it to be rebuilt. The shop I sent it to rebuilt the pump but during testing found that the pump was supplying almost no fuel at starting speeds. They sent it away and it was found that the pump head was bad. They (the place they sent it to) replaced it (very expensive) and the pump met all specs. I installed the pump and at the same time replaced the starter which was not turning the engine over well (solenoid lugs looked terrible).

Now the engine turns over well and motors a little during cranking but will not start. During cranking it billows tons of thick black smoke. Any ideas on what to do next?

I do not yet have the dial indicator to set the injection timing and just set the timing to where it was when I removed the pump. As I understand it, advancing the timing should reduce black smoke. Is this correct? The engine is a gear drive and service manual indicates that turning towards the engine retards timing. The problem I have is the pump is almost completely advanced where it is at and so I'm wondering if injection timing is really the problem.

It has a new air filter. Could the turbo affect starting like this somehow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dlippy
Isuzu Baby

City: Glasgow
Vehicle: 4jb1T engine

Re: 4JB1T still won't start after tons of work

Postby nighthawk » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:59 am

Maybe its electrical problem, wire to glowplugs or relay
nighthawk
Isuzu Junior

City: Gympie
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu MU

Postby dlippy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:55 am

Nighthawk thanks for the help: Glow plugs definitely are working and getting current. Also fuel cutoff solenoid is getting power and I've confirmed I'm getting fuel at the injectors (I guess black smoke probably confirms this also).
dlippy
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:55 pm

Sounds like a timing issue. Ive sent a copy of the engine manual to your email
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby dlippy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:33 am

Geeves, Thank you very much that is much better than the one I had. I'm going to get the dial indicator and set the timing and see if that solves the problem.
dlippy
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engine