• Advertisement

EGR?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

EGR?

Postby lewis » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:02 pm

My intake manifold is different to all I have seen on this forum as it is not an intercooled bighorn one or an mu one - its the pre intercooled bighorn (87) see pic 1 which apparently looks different.
I am led to believe this truck did have an EGR system as I can see 2 signs from reading on here - 1: there are lots of vaccuum hoses lying around unconnected, the one from the intake manifold has a screw in it (im thinking boost gauge here) - see pic 2
2: I remember reading once on here the EGR controller is under the centre console - where there is heaps of plugs connecting to nothing.
Now as the intake manifold is different I dont know where the EGR valves would have been if indeed there were any at all and Im not blabbing about what is something else. Possibly im thinking the thing to the right of the word TURBO as it seems to connect to knowhere?
I also cant see any signs of a blocking plate on the exhaust manifold - which I was looking for to plan tapping in an EGT gauge.
Im sure someone can shed light on this for me :)
If those hoses and the things (switches) below them are EGR related I can rip the switches out and the hoses that go to knowhere correct?

On a side note is the screw that I have partly uncovered from the rubber cover in pic3 the fuel turn up screw haha?

Thanks heaps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Re: EGR?

Postby lewis » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Another pic for diff view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby Captcol » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:55 pm

I think some of those lines that come up around there are breathers but I could be wrong on that
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby lewis » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:13 am

I think most of them were related to the quick warm up system, which never worked anyway probably because most of the lines were disconnected, never needed it anyway. All the hoses are gone now, the one to the intake manifold with a screw in it I will put in the boost gauge, and theres another hose that goes over behind the alternator/aircon which I put a screw in - not sure where it goes or what its for.
The fast idle for the aircon didnt work before I started so if its related to that - meh, and the aircon dosent work anyway as it has no gas in it.
Still cant find a plate on the exhaust manifold where EGR must have been blocked off - if the car had it ever?
You know if that screw in the first picture is the one people talk about to turn up the fuel?
Cheers

p.s I wish I had a haynes manual or something for the truck, the pdf we have isnt detailed and helpful enough for a novice like me haha!
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby pig75 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:10 am

lewis wrote:Still cant find a plate on the exhaust manifold where EGR must have been blocked off - if the car had it ever?
You know if that screw in the first picture is the one people talk about to turn up the fuel?

I don't think that model had EGR
That is not the pump screw it's next to that down and toward the motor a bit
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:57 pm

That small valve is the overboost valve. Have a look on the other side of the engine near the back. If it ever had EGR it will have a pipe coming out of the exhaust manifold
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby lewis » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Ok pig, is it the screw by the incoming rubber fuel line from the filter a bit below the one in that pic, or the one lower again and inbetween the 4 solid fuel lines? (tried to take a pic - too cluttered and didnt come out well in the light)
Thanks and sorry for all the stupid questions haha, im lucky you guys have the patience for me :)

Yeah geeves Ive had a good look around and cannot see anywhere the manifold has been blocked where an egr pipe would have been like what I have seen on others trucks on here, so think pig might be right it never had it. Just makes fitting an EGT probe that little bit harder.

Sorry geeves which valve do you mean lol? The valve on the manifold to the right of the word turbo im guessing is the overboost one?

When i flick the aircon switch no air seems to come out of the tubes (removed radiator). I was thinking of making a storage tank system for doing tyres etc one day (when more important things are done) but dosent look like it will give me air at the moment. I may have unplugged the hose that makes it fast idle but wouldnt think that should stop it working - from memory it didnt even fast idle when i last tried the aircon (aircon cold itself hasnt worked in probably 5 years). I spose there is probably a relay for the aircon which might be dead, but I wouldnt know the specs to check its resistance or whatever.

Mechanics they own your car if you let them at it I am realising. If I started working on this with everything in its right place untampered it would be easier to know which hose is going to its correct place and which is ok disconnected etc haha. For example from looking at page 6A-29 in the manual there was never a vacuum hose going to the fast idle thing on the injection pump so that must have been removed for some reason. Also wondering why there is that spare hose from the intake manifold with the screw in it - must have connected to something at some stage. Ah well at least none of this stuff is vital to engine operation :P
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby Captcol » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:25 pm

I have learnt a truck load from here and from playing around on the truck, and then taking time to do some work myself rather than paying for it. CV boots are a good example of this
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby pig75 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Have a read of this thread it shows the screw on the second page
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=629&p=9773#p9773
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby lewis » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Yeah this forum saves my ass! Im enjoying playing about and learning stuff, its a slow process though and isnt made easy by the lack of a really detailed manual for a novice like the ones haynes make for most things. The biggest job I may attempt some day is getting my front diff head out. God forbid I ever have to do something like replace the piston rings haha, but after 340ks untouched if I turn up the boost/fuel it may not last that long :P
Our family used the same mechanics for years so I guess they did lots of diy and small fixes such as the vacuum hoses disconnected and some with screws in them. Lots of other little things I see which are diy jobs too but not worth explaining.
Im currently waiting on my shackles to arrive, body lift is being turned, just bought some rims 15*8 (-24) yet to buy tyres and tubes, cant wait for end of uni so i have even more time on my hands :D
Oh and I fixed all that rust at the front of the body - welded in 3mm plate (not the prettiest but solid), and the tight LSD rear works great I was amazed even with rubbish tyres haha
lewis
Isuzu Master

Postby lewis » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Thanks pig, I did have a bit of a search on the forum but didnt find that. If lots of people ask it could be one for the FAQ section. Seems like there were a lot of confused/not sure which screw it is people like me in that thread hehe. Tomorrow I will go hunting for the right screw!
Cheers
lewis
Isuzu Master

Return to Engine