• Advertisement

low oil pressure / oil light on

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Re: low oil pressure / oil light on

Postby wbski007 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Electrifying, seems to filter his oil alot better than I do as I'm on the road alot and only can carry so much stuff to filter with, but between the two of us I think we both have some good ideas on burning WVO as a fuel and you all can gleen what works the best. I must however disagree with the fellow who said veggie oil does not have as good of lubrication as diesel, the diesel we have nowadays is way different than years ago, they have taken alot of the lubrication qualitys out of it, I think veggie oil is far better at lubricating the IP the strait diesel.
I would like to here more on the elimation of your return line electricfying? I have herd of people who returned the unused diesel right back into the IP instead of returning it back to the tank, but always wondered why they just didn't do that from the factory in the first place???
When I get back to Arizonia I will do a write up on how I burn veggie oil as a alternative fuel, and what I go through to do so.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 pm

The fuel is used to cool the pump. This is why if you drive a long run and stop with a nearly empty tank it will be quite warm.
In theory this is one of the reasons you shouldnt run a diesel with a near empty tank. Its never bothered mine
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby electrifying » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:06 pm

RE: turnturn
I can do a write-up. Two write-ups will give a wider variety of ideas for people to look at, as Wayne said, we both have some good ideas.
I just have to get my system working at a stage where filtering is not a problem (may now be solved, but need to do a longer test run).

RE: wbski
As for lubricating properties of WVO, i will see when my injector-pump claps-out, it hasn't so far (and i have been harsh on it, many times i have starved it of fuel, letting air get in, it still works), so i would agree that WVO is doing a good job so far. [on TV i saw a program where someone swapped their engine lubricant oil for Canola oil on a motorbike, & it worked fine]
I can think of one disadvantage of my current system/setup; winter time- when the rear tank get's very cold there will be no hot oil going back into the tank to warm it up. I have got an in-line heater in the rear before the pump, but won't fix the problem if the oil gell's in the tank. however that's a problem for winter :D

RE: geeves
Also, wouldn't the return line would also be useful for purging the system free of air?
I run my injector pump at around 40C, and not had problems. (electrically controlled + help from heat exchanger).

So far:
I have now looked into the same filter as Wayne has (2 mic) & discovered that it would be difficult getting it to New Zealand (i.e. shipping cost is very high) + replacement filters are not shipped to NZ from 'fleet filter', so would be just as expensive inc shipping as current filters that i can get.
So i now installed a fourth filter into the front. I have decided to place a standard engine filter back in line with the part that loops around in the engine bay, as i was too much of a wimp to trust the large 10-micron filter (even though it was working fine for a 40km test run).
IMG_7370 - fuel system with 2loop filters.jpg

I got the 4th filter, standard engine diesel filter, for around $23, $10 better than a ryco filter. [Does anyone know where i can get these 'OE' branded filters or similar generic filters cheaper?]
With the new filter in place, i did a 280km journey today with no problems at all (which was surprising! no air got in either), preformed just like it was on diesel (except for the BBQ smell :D ). - used about 36L of vege oil (that is carrying an extra 400kg of junk & people too).
I want to finish off the 90L tank of WVO off to see when the filters block up, as previously (with very old set-up) using a standard engine filter i was only able to get about 400km max out of it, usually by 300km it would be blocked.

I have also purchased a new air filter ($39 later), looks nice and bright yellow, compared to old grey dirty filter.

And i have installed the boost gauge,
IMG_7379 - boost gauge with LED backlight.jpg

currently running about 10-12 psi. think i can't get much more out of it unless i replace the muffler. Would also like the boost to kick in at lower rpm, but think it would be costly to do that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by electrifying on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bighorn = fun
If you see a bighorn, and the exhaust smells of BBQ or fish & chips, it's probably me
Nick
electrifying
Isuzu Junior

City: Palmerston North
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn, 2.8TD with inter-cooler. 4JB1T. 1991. Runs on vege oil. has two alternators. Now has a diff air locker, and snorkel.

Postby electrifying » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Rear fuel set-up:
rear setup.jpg

My loop line at front of engine:
front loop setup.jpg

so either the lime (diesel) line is selected, or the orange (vege-oil) line is selected at any one time.

Orange line (WVO):
1. fuel is pressurised from back by 14psi pump, and runs through a 20 & 1 mic sediment filter
2. new fuel that is required enters the engine bay
3. the fuel goes through two heating sources (heat exchanger brings temp close to required, electric heater heats to specific value (40C))
4. the fuel goes through two filters (10 mic high flow filter, standard factory filter (5mic?))
5. fuel enters the 3-way valve (electronically controlled)
6. fuel is pulled through by injector pump, some fuel is used to keep engine running
7. remaining fuel leaves injector pump, through 3-way valve, through one-way valve (just in case), and to a Tee. This un-used fuel is then re-sent through the heating, filter, injector pump, one-way valve loop until consumed by engine

Lime line (Diesel)
same as standard diesel fuel line, except runs through two electronically controlled 3-way valves. This part of the set-up is no different to most Isuzu's standard fuel set-up.

This setup seems to prevent air from getting into the system, as the fuel is always pressurised by the 14psi electric pump at back of vehicle. This allows the electric pump to keep up with flow demands of the injector pump.
With a bit more testing, i am hoping that this will work better than any previous set-up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bighorn = fun
If you see a bighorn, and the exhaust smells of BBQ or fish & chips, it's probably me
Nick
electrifying
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn, 2.8TD with inter-cooler. 4JB1T. 1991. Runs on vege oil. has two alternators. Now has a diff air locker, and snorkel.

Postby wbski007 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Now I see why they didn't do it from the factory, I learned somthing new, thanks Alan.
Just watch those Isuzu filters electricfying, I don't trust them anymore after seeing the water that passed right through mine but thankfully my Raycor stopped it, I got a bad batch of oil out on the road, I didn't realize it at the time but it was mostly water with some good oil floating on top, the water passed through the two oil filters I use to filter the incoming oil and then through the Isuzu filter, this is really the first time I've had any water problems tho, I watch more closely now picking up strange oil. Here at home I know my supplyers and never have any problems with water in the oil, but out on the road its different. Nice boost gauge by the way.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby electrifying » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks, boost gauge is lit up by 3 LED's (the light bulb was missing, so i glued some LED's in).
How did you know there was water in the oil, were you checking the filters & found water in the Raycor, or did the engine start to die out? Did the orange 'oil in water' light on the dashboard light up?

I am surprised with my oil, i know there is some water in it, but seems to be mixed quite well. When i suck the oil out of drums @ the food place, i hover the hose just below the top of the oil so i don't get gunk from too deep in the drums. Probably good cos it prevents the pump from sucking too much water (they leave the lids off the drums & rain sometimes gets in).
bighorn = fun
Nick
electrifying
Isuzu Junior

Postby electrifying » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 pm

ok, i have now done over 1000km with this setup, with no problems so far (i have not had to change the filters yet, having gone through 150L of vege oil). very happy about this :D .

Got my battery replaced under warranty yesterday, it was a factory second with a 6 month warranty. it was exactly 6 months old and had not been preforming as well as i had expected for several months, so took it back, they tested it & found that the current was dropping off too quickly.
Next time, i think i will pay a bit extra and get a new battery with a 24 month wty. I also have a Bosch marine battery that i use for my oil refinery and jump-starting my truck, it has done very well & has lasted much better than the factory second battery.(i.e. factory second battery 6 months old = 10seconds cranking time, Bosch battery over 2 years old still gets about 40 seconds cranking time, and it's a smaller battery!) -[yes 40 seconds is a long time for cranking, but in winter i left the vege oil in the injector pump overnight & the next morning it required several long cranks to get it going, as i forgot to mix diesel with it :roll: ]

Time for new front tyres, one has worn down to the threads now. and a new windscreen. and a new headlamp. - for wof.
bighorn = fun
Nick
electrifying
Isuzu Junior

Previous

Return to Engine