• Advertisement

Anybody used cem products

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Anybody used cem products

Postby stardog » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi guys just wondering if anybody has used the CEM engine oil flush products and if they work. I have noticed when i drop the oil and filter the new oil goe's black again very quickly and im thinking about how much sludge might be in the engine. The engine has done 26600 klms i do the oil and filter every 5000 klms.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Re: Anybody used cem products

Postby daone » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:08 pm

All desiel engine are like this even they are new engine. Do not worry. I have tried engine flashes, they all ok, I will take any disel engine flash if they are on special. :D
daone
Isuzu Junior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 4JB1T MANUAL MU

Postby wbski007 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:48 am

Diesel motors create alot of soot, which is transmitted to the oil very quickly, makeing it turn black fairly fast, this is not a problem tho, just a normal thing with diesels.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby stardog » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:47 am

Hi Wayne great to see you back here great blog you have and great reading as well. I know diesels create a lot of soot and turns the oil black quick but mine turns pitch black again with in 5 minutes of a oil and filter change. Any way i got the stuff from CEM [ cost effective maintenance ] which is a company in Queensland not cheap stuff to buy so i will use this weekend give a report back how it goe's and how much sludge i get out of the engine when i use it going to do fuel filter as well and use their fuel treatment as well.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby Isuzumu » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:23 am

I have been using CEMs AW10 for years now and find that the oil does not go completly back for 1000Ks so I have been puttting my services off till up to 7500Ks.
Cheers Bruce
Isuzumu
Isuzu Senior

City: Nanango
Vehicle: Isuzu MU and Isuzu D.Max

Postby stardog » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:34 am

Isuzumu a lot of people like the AW10 and swear by it. In my 97 fairmont ghia which had the tickford motor in it i used to use Morleys oil lubracation in it and found to be great stuff and a bit cheaper than AW10 might get some more for the mu and give it a try.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby oompalompa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:43 pm

i googled engine flushes and some results warned against engine and injector flushes. they claimed that if the flush dislodges some crud, where does it go, what does it block along the way. is there any truth to this? engine flushes always sounded like a good idea to me (never done one though lol). one article said makers such as honda were warning against them?

whats the real story?
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 95 bighorn 3.1td
265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
50mm rear suspension lift
50mm front Torsion bar lift
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Postby lewis » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:10 pm

I think the worry is particulary with turbo cars it will clog the lines to the turbo which would be pretty bad for your turbo. I remember when I started doing the oil changes in all cars in my family many years ago, particulary the bighorn it took a while for the dirtyness to go away (used to services every 10000km+ i suspect knowing my old man and car maintenence) but after some regular 5000km oil and filter changes it should clean up and then not have the need for a flush, least thats what i think/how ive done it. My truck has 340,000 km on it engine untouched. For the sake of $40 for 5L of caltex delo 400 and $30 or whatever for a filter I think its worth doing both every 5000km, if you do the oil not the filter then its definitely going to go black faster as the oil filter holds lots and obviously it wont filter as well. My truck usually dosent burn enough to need topping up between changes, and this is the only oil I have found which dosent burn away! Maybe its because its semi-synth, but valvoline and other oils just burnt away. If the past owner of the truck was really poor with maintenance then I guess you may have to pay for that. After reading a thread on here by 'electrifying' and how his sump mesh filter was clogged with sludge I really want to pull off the oil pan thing and check mine out.

Actually i also remember some theory that old engines where the pistons were effectively being nicely sealed by stuff that could be flushed away by these engine flushes, effectively making your engine rubbish.

I really wanted to do an engine flush to try stop the lifter tap in my VR4 (its not too bad compared to some you hear) but held off the urge since its not a problem and dont want to risk screwing something else up. That stuff you buy to stop lifter tap is useless and dosen't work.

As for injectors ever since low sulfur diesel came out ive used a few squirts of moreys diesel additive with every tank and havent had to get anything rebuilt due to diesel leaks yet, the stuff is meant to be good for seals, clean injectors and increase cetane rating so all sounds good to me :)

Ill have to have a party if my truck makes it to 400,000 :D
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Postby stardog » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:47 pm

I always change the the oil filter when i do a oil change just a habit i have as for burning oil my mu dont use any in between oil changes never had to top her up since i have owned it as for maintence before i owned it i dont know but the oil turns black real quick after i change it so tomorrow flush time see how much gunk comes out and see if this stuffs worth the money they reckon nearly 3 lts of sludge comes out of landcruiser after you use it so i will see how much comes out tommorow if this rain stops.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby muzila » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:53 pm

I not suprised Honda would advise against flushes. They make there motors and boxes with such tight tollarences that a spec of anything will clog up the oilways.

I had a brand new honda prelude do just that. Fresh oil in a new motor. It totally munched its self. Was found to be a small spec of metal smaller than 1 10th of a mm blocked an oil channel. Honda had to replace the hole motor under warranty.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby stardog » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Update on the CEM product i done a flush yesterday got out about 7 1/2 lts of oil out of the engine a bit of gunk came out in it in the oil change so it did remove some sludge. The engine runs alot better now i have used valvoline armoral 15-40 oil in it seems to idle alot better and seems to have abit more power as well also done the fuel additive today when i filled up will see at the next oil change what the oil is like so far very happy with the result of using this stuff.
stardog
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby geeves » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Im not sure about useing full synthetic oil in the 4jb1 and 4jg2 engine. I used the Delo for a while and while it held good pressure throughout the change interval and came up to pressure very quick cold it also seemed to seep out of the block and older seals. Changed back to valvolene diesel extra and although pressure does drop a bit near the end of the change interval its still very acceptable and the leaks stopped.
Ive heard other stories about synthetic oils cleaning the inside of the engines causing blowby and leaks.
For the later 4jx1 you have to use synthetic or really bad things happen
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby electrifying » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Hey Lewis,
My oil pan had a hand full (literally) of semi-solid fleece-like particles (weird stuff), probably just ash that had accumulated in blobs.
Since you say that your oil doesn't go black till about 1000km after oil change i would suspect it is fairly clean in there. My oil did go black after the first 100km after every oil change. - i only tried a mix of diesel & oil as an oil flush, didn't do much as most of the stuff was stuck to the strainer & oil pan, & too big & sludgy to come out of the sump oil-change-bolt-thing.

If anyone pulls their pan off, it would be interesting to see what gunk they find.

Nick.
bighorn = fun
If you see a bighorn, and the exhaust smells of BBQ or fish & chips, it's probably me
Nick
electrifying
Isuzu Junior

City: Palmerston North
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn, 2.8TD with inter-cooler. 4JB1T. 1991. Runs on vege oil. has two alternators. Now has a diff air locker, and snorkel.

Postby stardog » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Its semi synthetic oil it says its for light diesel turbo engines i will see how it goes in it. if there is any problems i will let you know i was going to get 10-40 but stuck to the 15-40 just in case.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 am

you should be fine If it leaks though change to a cheaper oil next time.
Its just how that stuff reacts with old seals
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engine